CPVC Metal Ball Valve & Expansion Tank

Users who are viewing this thread

dauber man

Reaction score
I’m planning on installing a metal shut off valve right after the water meter (see photo). A few questions…

1) I’m planning on using a metal ball valve with cpvc connectors (Sioux chief makes one). Is it as simple as cutting and solvent welding on the valve?

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Sioux-C...etalHead-Full-Port-Brass-Ball-Valve-Lead-Free

2) Will cutting the pipe affect the expansion tank at all? Will it need any sort of adjustment afterwards?

3) I was thinking of adding more pipe (in the shape of a U) to place the shut off valve at a lower level for easier access.. Will adding this cause any issues with water flow?

Thank you for any assistance here…

Attachments

• phonto (1).JPG
    phonto (1).JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 192

dauber man

Reaction score
I'm also considering adding the shut off valves to the hot and water lines separately (see photo) as that small piece of pipe after the water meter appears very brittle (although the house is only 1 year old) and may be risky considering the weight of the water meter.

Is this a better option?

Attachments

• phonto (2).JPG
    phonto (2).JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 412

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
" I was thinking of adding more pipe (in the shape of a U) to place the shut off valve at a lower level for easier access.. Will adding this cause any issues with water flow?"

Adding any pipe or fitting will cause some friction losses

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm also considering adding the shut off valves to the hot and water lines separately (see photo) as that small piece of pipe after the water meter appears very brittle (although the house is only 1 year old) and may be risky considering the weight of the water meter.

Is this a better option?

Is there not a shut off valve at the incoming side at meter?
That would be a good place , a valve on hot water side as noted is good but you want a valve at incoming side of water heater, I never have built or seen a new house with no shut off on cold to water heater and on the hot side its very uncommon (but can be handy)
1 year old CPVC shouldn't be brittle. I haven't seen CPVC going in on homes here but not up to date on trends. I did a few hundred in the 90s

dauber man

Reaction score
Is there not a shut off valve at the incoming side at meter?
That would be a good place , a valve on hot water side as noted is good but you want a valve at incoming side of water heater, I never have built or seen a new house with no shut off on cold to water heater and on the hot side its very uncommon (but can be handy)
1 year old CPVC shouldn't be brittle. I haven't seen CPVC going in on homes here but not up to date on trends. I did a few hundred in the 90s

There’s a plastic ball shut off before the meter but I’m afraid it will eventually freeze up. I’m trying to out a metal shut off in just in case.

this CPVC is making me nervous.. how concerned should I be about it’s durability?

also do I have to do anything with the expansion tank if I cut open the line?

thanks

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I cant say how worried you should be CPVC does get a lot of bad talk my moms house is in Florida I think built around 97 never had a problem. I don't think CPVC is much of a selling point copper has its problems in areas of SO Cal as well PEX is it the greatest ? I don't necessarily think so. Galvie in some places with good water lasts 60 plus years .
It is what it is You've got CPVC

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks