• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Need More Info

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Chance665

Reaction score
Working on some diagnosis. Extremely high static electricity in rooms. Sight pulse of electricity felt in back when laying in mattress or standing on carpet. Sensation of electricity pulsing very slightly. Anything strike you as odd?

Kelin tools no-contact voltage detector 50v-1000v flagging aggressively when touched to wire with TV or other appliances when they are off. If touched to iPhone charger, flags consistently even without iPhone plugged in. Charger was plugged in and sitting on carpet. Does this mean stray voltage is being released even when the device is not plugged in? That normal? Seemed to drastically reduce when everything was totally unplugged in the room. Also the detector flags on body, legs, hands, mattress, but usually only when “rubbed” or “moved” not a steady voltage detected. Slight pulse of electricity felt when laying down or standing. Amazon fire stick had consistent aggressive beeping when even 4-5 cm away. Could this be leaking voltage into extremely dry air?

True meter plugged into top left socket of outlet, device placed on ground zeros out. Second prong touched to arm shows >50v.

“Jolt” sent through one outlet to beard trimmer while in use shaking trimmer and user’s hand.

Let me know if any other pieces of info might be helpful.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Working on some diagnosis. Extremely high static electricity in rooms. Sight pulse of electricity felt in back when laying in mattress or standing on carpet. Sensation of electricity pulsing very slightly. Anything strike you as odd?
What is the relative humidity? Get your relative humidity up to 30%. A humidity meter is a hygrometer.

Consider getting your house air leaks reduced. When you suck in cold air, it warms and you can get very low RH.

Kelin tools no-contact voltage detector 50v-1000v flagging aggressively when touched to wire with TV or other appliances when they are off. If touched to iPhone charger, flags consistently even without iPhone plugged in.
Belive it or not, that is not odd IMO. My Klein NCVT-2 is way over-sensitive, and I have enough humidity to not get static electricity shocks. The Klein NCVT-2 is supposed to have a mode that reduces the sensitivity. I think that "2" in the model number refers to the two modes. My first attempt to get to the less-sensitive mode did not work for me, and I gave up.
True meter plugged into top left socket of outlet, device placed on ground zeros out. Second prong touched to arm shows >50v.
Not in the least weird. Shunt your test leads with 100 kOhms to 1 MOhm, and I expect that to not occur. Your meter has an impedance of 20 meg or more. An analog meter would not have this problem.

“Jolt” sent through one outlet to beard trimmer while in use shaking trimmer and user’s hand.
That one seems weird, but I guess it could be a static electricity discharge. So while I voted No, this one is suspect.

Last edited:

Chance665

Reaction score
Thank you! Best advice/insight I could find online. I’m not really worried about it as much. Followed your advice on humidity. Also bought rubber mats to place power strip on. I’ve gotten several opinions that the Klein flags are not concerning. While static electricity is not fun, I’m glad it doesn’t appear to be a serious electrical problem a Just for good measure going to have a pro come test all the outlets with a true meter who knows what they are doing but thanks for your consideration on this.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks