Countertop Hole standards and recommendation

Users who are viewing this thread

AC_in_DC

Reaction score
Hello folks,

I am new here. I found this site while searching the internets for help with my DIY project. I have searched the forums for answers, so please pardon if this subject has already been visited.

The problem: We have a salt-based water softening system at home. Unfortunately, none of us likes the taste of the softened water so we have an RO system under the sink for drinking water. The plants don’t do well with the softened water and the dog would rather not drink it (fussy b@$t@rd!). This is primarily a winter problem because we have the outside faucets shut off. In other seasons, we can easily get water from the outside faucets.

Current solution: Wife makes me go to the basement with the watering can to fill it for her. It is tiring. She can’t do it cos the only way to get untreated water is from the spin-off sediment filter and the force of the water is too much for her to handle and the can gets pretty heavy.

New solution and DIY project: Install a faucet at the sink for the untreated water. This faucet will be used only for filling the watering can and the dog’s water bowl. (I considered somehow installing a garden faucet that has threads to connect hoses to but I think that will look ugly and there is the risk of the hose leaking and what not.)

I found this at HD (after searching for hours!).

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Glacier-Bay-Single-Hole-Single-Handle-Low-Arc-Bathroom-Faucet-in-Chrome-6011-5001/206495208

Wish I could find one in a brown or black color (visual indication that this water is different) but so far no luck.

Now this faucet has a ½ inch connector. My research so far recommends a 1 3/8 hole size to be drilled into the countertop. I have drilled a ½ inch hole in the countertop before to install the RO system faucet. So here is the question:

TLDR

1. Should I drill a 1 3/8 inch hole in the countertop for a ½ inch connection size faucet?

2. Will drilling a hole the same size as the pipe on the faucet cause any problems due to expansion/contraction of the pipe?

3. Is this faucet too small for the intended purpose? (Have to read a little to understand this question – sorry!)

Thank you!
AC_in_DC
(some pictures of what my project entails.)

Attachments

• 20200224_192135.jpg
    20200224_192135.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 163
  • 20200224_192105.jpg
    20200224_192105.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 200
  • 20200224_191919~2.jpg
    20200224_191919~2.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 169
  • Scrunch1.jpg
    Scrunch1.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
we have an RO system under the sink for drinking water.
Your picture did not show an RO system.

Now this faucet has a ½ inch . My research so far recommends a 1 3/8 hole size to be drilled into the countertop. I have drilled a ½ inch hole in the countertop before to install the RO system faucet. So here is the question:
Many drill the sink rather than drilling the countertop. I guess that depends on the sink configuration.

The faucet you showed might have a hard time filling a dog bowl with a flared bottom or filling a watering can.

How about a pot filler from the wall? That would be distinctive.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The safest thing is to try to find the installation instructions and see what they recommend. But, notice that the flow rate is all of 1.2gpm...not much. Basically, though, kitchen and vanity faucets are required to be restricted, but at about double that flow rate...I'm guessing, but they chose that so that using one for hot and another for cold still wouldn't exceed the maximum. Note that a male 1/2" NPT will be larger than 1/2" OD.

To get a higher flow rate, you might find one designed for hot and cold, use a T to feed it the cold for both sides, and likely achieve a better flow rate.

AC_in_DC

Reaction score
Your picture did not show an RO system.

Sorry! This is a different sink.

Many drill the sink rather than drilling the countertop. I guess that depends on the sink configuration.

The sink is mounted under the countertop. The existing faucet is mounted on the countertop.

The faucet you showed might have a hard time filling a dog bowl with a flared bottom or filling a watering can.

How about a pot filler from the wall? That would be distinctive.

Yes - that dawned on me as I was typing up this post. I realized that the hole i drilled for installing the RO faucet/spigot was alo 1/2 inch. I can walk away from the sink when filling the dog bowl. The watering can would take 5 minutes to fill - unhappy wife!

I'm going to have to look up pot fillers.

Thanks!

Last edited:

AC_in_DC

Reaction score
The safest thing is to try to find the installation instructions and see what they recommend. But, notice that the flow rate is all of 1.2gpm...not much. Basically, though, kitchen and vanity faucets are required to be restricted, but at about double that flow rate...I'm guessing, but they chose that so that using one for hot and another for cold still wouldn't exceed the maximum. Note that a male 1/2" NPT will be larger than 1/2" OD.

To get a higher flow rate, you might find one designed for hot and cold, use a T to feed it the cold for both sides, and likely achieve a better flow rate.
Good idea with the T. Definitely more choices when it comes to faucets. Thanks!

Last edited:

AC_in_DC

Reaction score
Wife made the job a (w)hole lot easier. Said she would manage with the existing faucet if I could just connect the untreated water directly to it. So I did that and did not have to drill a hole in the counter-top. And when this faucet is clogged and not working Ill replace it.
It does take her 3.5 minutes to fill the watering can. Which I think will get old very soon. But seasons are a changing and we wont need to visit this subject till winter kicks in again.

My first time working with CPVC and I'm kind of proud of my work. Will post pics soon. Everything looked professional until I ran into an issue under the sink where i connected an inline dual-outlet valve. The first CPVC connector I used would not screw into the valve fully to develop a good seat and leaked! I had to cut it off and use another one and this time used an elbow joint - totally unprofessional looking. But it gets the job done. Still need to clamp the pipe to the wooden studs and stick the flange from the underside. Not easy to find these pipe clamps.

Update: Clamps added and added a support strap also between the inside line and the outside lines. (Pic added.)

Thanks for your help folks!

Attachments

• 20200303_214541.jpg
    20200303_214541.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 160
  • 20200303_214537.jpg
    20200303_214537.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 159
  • 20200303_214335.jpg
    20200303_214335.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 161
  • 20200311_184424.jpg
    20200311_184424.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks