Counter Top Reverse Osmosis - Advice Needed

Users who are viewing this thread

canadianguy1

Reaction score
I bought a counter top RO unit ($100 on ebay), and as I'm reading the manual before setting it up, it's saying the source water must have a TDS of less than 250 or else I'll need extra filters and post filters to protect the membrane.

The TDS of my water (well water) is over 400, so I'm wondering how long it would last if I used it without installing any more filters. I use about 3-4 gallons/week. Do you think I would get at least a year out of it?

After reading some comments about cheap RO systems, I'm also now debating whether to just simply send it back for a refund. Would I be better off with one of those gravity pitchers like zero water or Brita if I'm looking to spend $100 for a water filter system?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Countertop units basically suck, we sell lot's of them and their is simply no good way to make one work universally. Too many items to list here but are you renting? Is that why you are looking for a countertop? here are other solutions that work fairly well and are reasonably priced for renters.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
A simple under the counter filter that feeds all the cold water to your kitchen faucet is a sound design. The key is a good filter cartridge designed for this specific application. A 1 micron sediment filter followed by a high flowing, high capacity carbon block is a good start. The problem has been the carbon has difficulty reducing certain contaminants at high flow rates (1 GPM).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks