Costco St Thomas toilet. Any comments?

Users who are viewing this thread

wavyphotons

Reaction score
Any comments on Costco St Thomas 2-pack toilet for $799 ?

Link : http://m.costco.com/.product.100112102.html
  • Specifications:
    • HET (high-efficiency toilet)
    • 1.28 gallons (4.8 liters) per flush
    • Oversized 3” flush valve
    • Siphon-jetted, 2-1/8” trapway
    • Fully-glazed internal trap-way
    • 9” x 7” water surface area
    • 100% factory flush tested
      Dimensions:
      • 28-3/4” x 17-1/2” x 28-3/4”
      • 730 x 445 x 730 mm
    • Specifications
      • Brand: St. Thomas
      • Elongated Bowl: Yes
      • Height: 28.75 in.
      • Includes Seat: With Seat
      • Length: 28.75 in.
      • Water Usage: 1.28 Gallon per Flush
      • Width: 17.5 in.

Wallijonn

Reaction score
Trapway doesn't look bad. But $800? ... What you want to research is parts availibility.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
That's a pretty hefty price for a toilet. Over the years, it seems often Costco does not have repair parts for there toilets. Can't say about this one, but before you blow that much on a toilet, do yourself a favor an check out the Toto line. High quality, repair parts readily available, and many models (and prices) to chose from.

Reach4

Reaction score
As I read it, it is $400 for each of two toilets.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
For that price, you can have a Toto Entrada. Drake, Aquia or even a Drake II, and still have money in your pocket.

Reach4

Reaction score
For that price, you can have a Toto Entrada. Drake, Aquia or even a Drake II, and still have money in your pocket.
Not familiar with the toilet, but it is a single piece-- if you want to compare on that factor.

Wallijonn

Reaction score
Looked at the video (open "Product Details") and read the specs - looks like a fine toilet. $400 apiece with slow close seats - what's not to like? Looks-wise I think it's a handsome piece, imo.

The flush seemed a little weak but that may be because it may have a better bowl wash (percentage of water used for the bowl wash is higher than for the siphonic flush). At least that is what is advertised.

The video is a little grainy so the bowl wash can't be seen clearly. Supposedly one piece units have less pressure because the two piece units sit higher, and, while it doesn't use all the water in the tank, the 1/2 tank that is flushed provides more downward flush pressure, so a taller & slimmer tank should provide more pressure than a short & wider tank. (But the Drake doesn't seem to have too much problem flushing and it is a wide tank).

I do like the end of the flush cycle where extra water seems to flow out from the front of the bowl to strongly finish the flush cycle.

The 1000 MAP score may be authentic, albeit in a slightly longer flush cycle - which no one worried about when they were gravity fed - but it doesn't seem to have the "gulp" of the Totos. (But, then again, some complain about some Totos not having a good enough bowl wash. The St. Thomas may be a good balance between flush and noise. Please tell us afterwards, perhaps doing a full review after about a month of living with it.)

The video doesn't show how long the flush handle is held but the diagram does seem to indicate the tank water level. On a Toto the handle is depressed and let go, instead of having to hold it like on a gravity flush toilet.

The handle is solid brass, which I consider a sign of quality, and will probably not break like plastic toilet flush levers.

http://www.stthomascreations.com/admin/uploads/6116213S_1406583619.pdf

If you like it - go for it.

Make absolutely sure that you have a 12" rough-in, minimum, since the toilet is set back about 1/4" from the wall. Which a lot of people like.

The flush valve, 9400.502.00, goes for $40, so it isn't unreasonable.

"100% factory flush tested" is probably something that all manufacturers should do - but we know that some don't - based on their failure rates. Totos typically have less than a 1% failure rate. Hopefully the same pride in craftsmanship exists in the St. Thomas line.

Hopefully you will be as pleased with your St. Thomas as we are with our Totos.

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
It's a ROUND front for that price? That's what WalliJohn's sheet says... Not good. Maybe it's just the wrong sheet.

One thing that I know from experience is that spec sheets and manufacturer's videos tell you absolutely nothing. The specs on the horrible Kohler we bought years ago seemed great. The toilet sucked (or rather didn't suck the waste out of the bowl, and therefore clogged virtually every time), and I replaced it with a Toto, which rocks.

Forty bucks for a flush valve "isn't unreasonable"? On what planet? And how long is this manufacturer going to be around to stand behind their toilet?

We're telling you that until we have actual experiences from users who know the difference between quality and crap, you know nothing. But for $400 a toilet, we can put you into numerous toilets that we know have great quality and workmanship. And you should consider them seriously before taking a flier on a second-tier manufacturer.

Wallijonn

Reaction score
It's the wrong sheet. The sheet lists elongated.

$40 isn't unreasonable, imo, because it's more frustrating changing flush valves that don't work from HD that take 2 or 3 trips to get one that works. A Toto flush valve is about $30. I'm not going to sweat $10.

wavyphotons

Reaction score
Thank you folks for the detailed, amazing responses! I'm a total n00b and I learned a lot. And honestly I feel a bit better that maybe periodic plunging that I have to do in my current house is not umm..my fault, but bad toilet :)
I'm not attached to Costco toilet , just wanted to understand what people think. Since I have a few other requirements and my budget is flexible, let me start a different thread. Thanks again!

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
A Toto flush valve is about $30. I'm not going to sweat $10.

Yeah. You know, you're right that the 3" ones are significantly more costly than the 2" ones; I was thinking a good price range for a flush valve (with new flapper) is like $12. The Korky 3" flush valve kit 5030BP can be had for under $20, but I have to say I was surprised to see that some sell it for much more; even that big retail site sells it for $26.

Korky was nice enough to send me one for free to try out right when they were launching it; I didn't realize it was as valuable as it was! (I have a good bit of experience with the 2" adjustable one, and this is basically-identical, just bigger.)

Wallijonn

Reaction score
WavyPhotons,

Ont thing that you may want to try is asking Costco if they can somehow get you in touch with customers that bought the same toilet. I know it's highly unlikely but you could ask that they do the contacting and ask that the contactee get in touch with you. Chances are that the chances would go up if it were a plumbing house and not a big store.

I suggest that you do that with mechanics, doctors, lawyers, dentists, sub-contractors, roofing companies, plumbing companies, pavers, window installers, painters, etc. You want to find out what others have to say about the person pr company. Since it's not a person that you're researching the typical resource is what others have to say about a product online. I typically start reading the worse reviews and work my way up to the best reviews. If you look at the spread of the reviews you should get an idea of the overall quality. For example, if more than 50% of the reviews are negative (read the reviews for the St. Thomas Creation Palermo, for example) you'll want to steer clear of that product. Next you want to consider why the responder said what he said. Was the cause not the toilet but the plumbing? Those reviews which are not of the product but the delivery, ie, cracked porcelain, you can readily dismiss as not being pertinent. Then you have to think of those reviews which are gushing due to initial impressions - they may change after a length of time, the more time the product has been reviewed, the better chances you will make an informed decision. In the absence of specific reviews you will have to get a feel for their other products, to get an idea of the company as a whole. Beyond that you will have to go with your gut. For example, St. Thomas makes a bowl called the Impala. The trap way looks nice. But that alone will not indicate the flushing efficiency, whether or not it has a sufficient bowl wash down, whether the rim holes have been engineered correctly, etc. If you do take a chance on a product you may want to open an account (keep it separately from your purchasing name (you can change your displayed name, btw)) and do a full review after living with the product for a while, for the sake of others.

Next, as you research on-line sellers, many have their own section for reviews. Apply the same rules, while trying to ascertain whether or not they are phoney reviews.

And, of course, applying one review to the rest of the product line may not be valid, for even Toto has been known to make a less than stellar product, as all manufacturers likely do. But, thanks to Terry's reviews and the reviews of its members, a general consensus can be formed as to what products are best and which products one should seriously consider purchasing.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks