Cost of running 1.5hp vs 3.0hp well pump

Users who are viewing this thread

bhelts

Reaction score
Hello.
I have been getting conflicting information from the person that drilled my well and the person installing my pump. So I came here to get a third opinion.

I'd like to know whether a 1.5hp, 5gpm well pump (400 ft well, pump level 280 ft) will use half the electricity to run as a 3.0hp, 10gpm well pump for the same amount of water?

There seem to be quite a few variables: total cost, cost/gallon, start stop count, lifetime of the pump. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Any questions, I should be able to respond quickly.
Thanks!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Both of those pumps are way over staged for a 280’ pumping level. You would have to run a minimum of 50 PSI against them (50/70 switch) to keep them from being destroyed on upthrust. Even with 50 PSI backpressure the 5 GPM pump is going to produce 8 GPM, and the 10 GPM pump is going to put out 16 GPM.

And if that is a “pump setting level” of 280’ instead of a “pumping level” of 280’, the problem is even worse.

Electric cost per gallon will be the same because the 3 HP just puts out twice as much water as the 1.5 HP. But the 3 HP cost twice as much to purchase and/or replace.

Do you need 16 GPM, or will 8 do the job? I think a 10 GPM, 1.5 HP would be a better fit for your well, as it will do about 12 GPM at 280’ and 50 PSI pressure.

bhelts

Reaction score
Both of those pumps are way over staged for a 280’ pumping level. You would have to run a minimum of 50 PSI against them (50/70 switch) to keep them from being destroyed on upthrust. Even with 50 PSI backpressure the 5 GPM pump is going to produce 8 GPM, and the 10 GPM pump is going to put out 16 GPM.

And if that is a “pump setting level†of 280’ instead of a “pumping level†of 280’, the problem is even worse.

Electric cost per gallon will be the same because the 3 HP just puts out twice as much water as the 1.5 HP. But the 3 HP cost twice as much to purchase and/or replace.

Do you need 16 GPM, or will 8 do the job? I think a 10 GPM, 1.5 HP would be a better fit for your well, as it will do about 12 GPM at 280’ and 50 PSI pressure.

valveman, thanks for the response.

I don't know about upthrust or backpressure. We have to push the water vertically about 400' and horizontally about 4000' to get to our last tank. Does that change things?

Obviously I don't know much about wells or pumps, I appreciate your help!
Thanks again.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Horizontally won’t make much difference if you use large enough pipe, but the 400’ extra lift after the 280' in the well makes that pump fit much better.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks