Cost of pump replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

duderunrunrun

Reaction score
We lost water pressure this morning and we called for service. It seemed the pump in the well outside was stuck and it was recommended for a replacement. The old pump's model was 8SP4DO2P-34 and it was replaced with 2ST72-12-P4 a Myers 3/4 12 GPM. It took little over 2 hours and he said the flat rate was $1800.

My friend swear up and down that his pump only cost $600 and they just pull out the line and drop it back in. I tried to explain to him my well was at 280 ft depth and it needs to be rig out and it is tougher than what it said but my question to you experts is that do you think that was a fair price? Consider the pump itself is $500 online and 70 feet of PVC is? plus a new gauge and a new Pumptrol. I called and requested a more detail breakdown of the charges and I should get one tomorrow, but then I asked them about why they replaced it with 12gpm instead of the old 8gpm, I was told that they don't make 8gpm anymore, while I was looking at the list of 8gpm Myers on my laptop. Can someone tell me if they are being somewhat dishonest or I am just overthinking this situation? Thanks and apology in advance if I offend you in an ignorant way. :)

duderunrunrun

Reaction score
more

my friend is trying to tell me he get his installed for less than $600....hmmmmm

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
conditions

I know of at least 3 well drillers in the area who will charge 500-700 to come out, regardless of what they end up doing while they are there. Cost is not relative in many situations. If you were quoted one price and given a bill for way more, then you have a case. If you told them to fix it with no discussion of cost, you don't have a leg to stand on.

My experience has been that most service businesses are looking to make 60% gross profit on quality parts and materials. Labor ranges from 60-200 an hour. If 2 guys show up, double the labor. If the drill rig shows up, nothings getting fixed for less than you paid.

duderunrunrun

Reaction score
thank you

I guess I will know more when I get a break down of the cost rather than said FLAT PRICE on the invoice. I have water and that is what is important.

Using the 60% profit will put the $500 part at $800-900 at best. Let's say the labor is 200 per that will put me at $1300, $500 for other parts (pvc, gauge and pumptrol and removal?) The truck he had has a crane on it, that is a rig, right?

Thank you for your reply. I just want to make sure my friend's opinion is just that.

Speedbump

Reaction score
We get $1195.00 plus wire and any other items needed such as SCH 80, a new well seal etc. We used to throw in the wire until recently. I think this guy is a little high, but then things change from place to place.

bob...

Thassler

Reaction score
I had a pump replaced on one of my deep wells (380ft) about 5yrs ago and the price was $1450.00. $1800.00 doesn't sound too unreasonable. I'm not a pro, just a well owner but I think a lot more goes in to the price than just parts, labor and taxes. Experience is what I paid my well pro's for to replace my pump. 6 hours after the phone call to them and they had my water back on. No one dropped the pump down the well or got it stuck half way up. It's always 'after' the job is done that neighbors say that could have done it for a lot less money. Neighbors are for drinking beer with while watching the pro's do it <grin>. If my deep well pump went out today (knock on wood) I'd gladly pay $1800.00 to have it fix by professionals - there's too much at risk with a deep well.

duderunrunrun

Reaction score
thanks guys

I do think he is in the higher end and because he told me it will be 3 hours to do a complete job and it took him 2 and now I realized he did not even replaced the pvc but used the old one (perhaps that was what saved him the time). He basically can't write out the invoice in detail so he wrote it as a "flat rate". This place is BBB acredited and that was the reason I used them. I will go over the detail invoice as the owner promised to send and see where the extra cost is.

Thanks again and I am glad this forum is here so there is some sense of fairplay and protection (and education).:)

Speedbump

Reaction score
I wouldn't put too much faith in the BBB. They take money from members, so you can see how much help they would be.

bob...

duderunrunrun

Reaction score
I am glad it is done though

:) you are right about professionalism, that is priceless. I guess when I work in my job and if I quoted something and I am way off on the amount of time it took, I would actually discounted from my quote, but that is just me. I guess the money is spent and well is fixed so it's an education, but I guess I just need to know so I know to use or not use this contractor again.:)

Yes, people always tell you how much cheaper things can be done and most of time you do pay for what you get, but I do have a couple of experiences already that contractors took advantage of the situation and that is a guide for me for any future business. Thanks for your reply!

duderunrunrun

Reaction score
bbb

that is a way to look at. My friend swear by Angie's List but that is also a fee based service, right?

I guess sometime we feel like we are in a fog and without any good recommendation and at the time of need, you just reach out to what seems right.

Raucina

Reaction score
You could have discussed and negotiated cost before he pulled it out, and might have come here before you choose a contractor. Its a good lesson for the kids to wash in a teacup for a few days.

Sounds way high to me, but its too late for you. Main problem, he lied about the pump instead of saying "I didnt have one that day" , or made a case that the other worked too. Also the 12 gpm is probably a bit less in cost too.

If he swapped all fittings, wire and controls, it might be a little less painful to bear.

Next time the pump goes out, call that friend and have him get his butt over in a few hours with his gloves on, give him 20 bucks and a beer for swapping the pump.

duderunrunrun

Reaction score
thanks

he did change the fittings, gauge, switch and wires but not the pvc. Once I get the detail report, I will call back and ask about the 8 gpm lie with a print out.

Yeah, live and learn. I did (over)do my part in stimulating the economy and I bought American....

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
People who have wells and other semi-exotic systems in their homes would do well to learn about those systems ahead of time, and get the equipment and knowledge to check them out and be smart consumers of products and services.

I estimate that you can save at least 75% of the cost of servicing them if you learn enough to be almost as smart as the person trying to sell you a product, or "upsell" you when you have someone doing something that you can't do yourself.

The internet is a great way of educating yourself but it is far better to do the educating BEFORE the emergency.

duderunrunrun

Reaction score
learning

yes, that would be nice if I knew what was up. All it happened was sudden lost of pressure and yes, it did come back when the service guy showed up. Until the tech figure out the switch was drawing 40 amp? instead of 5 and found no shorts, he then said my pump stuck in the well.

I will take your advice to heart and start planning for replacing the water heater. Thanks.

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
Dude,
you didn't get taken for a ride. The guy didn't replace the PVC because there is really no need to replace PVC if there are no breaks or splits in it. If i could pull that with a pump puller, you would be at 1500.00, this guy service it with a hoist truck. I also dont think there would be any reason to lie about pump models.You should be lucky that you got a well guy out there with some experience because an inexperienced plumber would have told you that you needed a new well once they found out the pump was stuck. As far as a price on the pump, i believe that pump is equivalent to a Gould's 10GS07 and the last time i installed one, list price was close to 1000.00. Go easy on the guy because a lot of times us well contractors dont get the appreciation we deserve.

Sammy

duderunrunrun

Reaction score
oh, I do appreciate the work

here is what I found on the pump, it's 3/4 12 gpm Myers the model# is same except the "plus"
http://www.wwpp.us/myers/predator-2-wire.shtml

Thank you to be clear about the PVC, I wish he took time to explain the bill to me instead of a quote of 1800-1900 and 3 hr estimated time and then it became 2 hr and a flat rate of $1800. Perhaps he has a rate table he has to follow, I appreciate the work, I just need clarification on this flat rate thing.

I had been very nice with them, no claws...:) Even when the woman told me no one makes 8 gpm pumps anymore or I need to special order one while I am looking at the page above, I did not say anything.

duderunrunrun

Reaction score
you are correct

yes, that is 60% profit margin ratio and a mark up of 150%.

Perhaps someday someone will find this post and do the homework I did not do. I will share the itemized bill once I get it and see if this is what they did.

duderunrunrun

Reaction score
total cost

material: $1150 ($850 for the pump)

2 hr. of labor time for one person :$650

Speedbump

Reaction score
Sounds like a lot of profit doesn't it. Then you take out the expenses. Materials (not mentioned on the bill) equipment cost and maintenance, overhead, and let's not forget taxes.

Like someone said earlier. You don't see many of us driving around in Bentleys tokin on big fat Cuban cigars.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks