Cost of adding an outlet in bathroom?

Users who are viewing this thread

Steven81NJ

Reaction score
I am curious what should I expect the cost to be to add an outlet in the bathroom close to the toilet. The closest other outlet is all the way on the other side of the bathroom.

Thank you.

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't have a budgetary number for you. The cost will be affected by the accessibility to run wires, and whether a new circuit to the breaker box is to be run. Access from below from an unfinished basement and fishing through an inside hollow wall would probably be the cheapest good access.

Do you have an outlet on the other side of the wall a the proposed location? Maybe you could tap into that, even easier. There may be rules on that. I don't know.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I take it back. Some time back I read 5 feet but it might be just common sense. Maybe some inspector doesn't like it. Bottom line is while someone is in the shower all wet, do you want them to try to plug in there shaver or the charger for a phone? If an outlet is that close someone will surely do it. Perhaps GFCI are so reliable that it is considered safe ?

I have had GFCI fail and not trip, particularly ones that are outside receptacles in damp proof covers when a non damp proof GFCI were used. "Weather Resistant" GFCi are now available.

Here it is for home inspectors, the last post, https://www.nachi.org/forum/f19/light-switch-near-shower-40500/

Here is another https://www.ecmag.com/section/safety/shower-zone

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
In general, things in a bathroom need to be GFCI protected, and, depending on the code release, maybe also AFCI as well.

A big differentiation will be if you need a new circuit verses an extension of an existing one, and whether you have access from either above or below. If it must be new, it would depend on how far and what kind of access you had to get to the power panel.

It could be less than an hour, or many hours. Materials wise, not much in the scheme of things. My inspector has not had an issue with items close to the shower if they were GFCI protected. THere's a GFCI protected outlet for the tub under the tub, and a timer switch for a towel bar easily well within 5' of the shower, and both of them passed code at the time (things do change).

Stuff

Reaction score
The location of an outlet or wall switch have distant limitations to a shower or bath tub. 5 ft is the requirement.
Must be a local requirement. Here we have small bathrooms that 5' from the tub would put you outside in the hall.

Reach4

Reaction score
As I read it, there is a requirement that the outlet must be GFCI protected, and that it not be inside the shower enclosure.

Reach4

Reaction score
Bottom line is while someone is in the shower all wet, do you want them to try to plug in there shaver or the charger for a phone? If an outlet is that close someone will surely do it.
How about getting rid of outlets near lavatories for the same reason?;)

Stuff

Reaction score
How about getting rid of outlets near lavatories for the same reason?;)
You can't take away someone's toilet seat warmer!

But, yeah. Common sense really isn't common as that is why half the codes exist.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
While standing and your fishing rod touches the water, just pray the GFCI trips. Thank goodness toilet seat LED lights are battery powered.:eek:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You just can't have things like light switches or receptacles IN the shower. 8' or taller ceilings aren't considered in the shower, either, so light fixtures are okay and don't need to even be moisture resistant, although a good idea. Most electrical things in a bathroom these days require a GFCI circuit. NOw, if people would actually use the test button as called out, they would be even safer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks