Cost New Furnace replacement Canada

Users who are viewing this thread

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Those things vary with both the exact equipment and the location. In higher-cost-of-living parts of Canada CDN$5800 might be cheap. In low cost areas it might be outrageous.

I have no insight as to how Prince Rupert costs might compare to those in P.E.I. or Winnipeg, but I'd be a bit surprised if they all came in about the same.

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
Those things vary with both the exact equipment and the location. In higher-cost-of-living parts of Canada CDN$5800 might be cheap. In low cost areas it might be outrageous.

I have no insight as to how Prince Rupert costs might compare to those in P.E.I. or Winnipeg, but I'd be a bit surprised if they all came in about the same.
Well furnace shipped to our company came to 2050.00 . Do you mark up your furnace to

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
A very rough rule of thumb in my area that the installed price of HVAC equipment is typically about 2x the cost of the equipment (f.o.b. the local distributor), but that's a very squishy number, depending on the difficulty of the install. In your case $5800 would be closing in on 3x, which would on the very high side.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Labor is the most important part of any install. If it takes all day or four hours sure makes a difference. Is it a one or two man? 8 hours or 16 hours?

Assume you need $125 per man hour to pay labor, truck, ins, etc., plus time picking up equipment and all the little leg work needed. Doing the math, 4K for the furnace and equipment, 16 x $125 for labor comes in around $6k. As stated above labor rates are always localized.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think furnace only was 2050, but there would be other materials. Was the condensate pump supplied also? Would ductwork materials be considered, or part of the 2x number?

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
I think furnace only was 2050, but there would be other materials. Was the condensate pump supplied also? Would ductwork materials be considered, or part of the 2x number?

The 2x number is only a ball park, and a very squishy number related to things such as ancillary materials mentions, the ease of install, disposal costs on what it replaced etc., and of course local labor costs, sometimes inspection charges. I'm sure there are installations in my are that run less about a 1.5x multiplier in a simple swap-out, but very few would hit 3x unless there is more extensive ductwork modification involved.

Asking what's a reasonable cost in Canada is a bit silly- it's not one number, and not necessarily even a very tight range. Canada is a big place with a divergence of local markets, and in those local markets the details of the house and potential complications affect what's "reasonable".

Is $5.80 a reasonable price for a sandwich in Canada?:)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks