Cost Estimate for Remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

Wren

Reaction score
Many thanks to those who helped with my drain/vent questions last week.

As I mentioned, we bought a house that is in need of having all of the plumbing replaced. I was going to do the work myself, but it also needs a ton of other work and I'm considering hiring the job out.
Basically, it's a 1200 sq. ft. single story on crawlspace and all of the flooring and sub-flooring is out. There's room to stand in much of it and plenty of headroom in the rest of the crawlspace. It's not unlike new construction in terms of access, no sheet rock in the way, etc. The layout is: 1/2 bath with sink and toilet; full bath/laundry area with washing machine, sink, tub, and toilet; kitchen with sink and dishwasher; and 2 exterior hose bibs. All of the drains are being relocated and replaced as well including digging about a 12' trench to connect to the new sewer stub which is about 3' under grade. There will be new service coming in from the relocated water meter which is about 10' from the exterior wall.
Is there a rule-of-thumb for estimating what this should cost for the rough in? We would like to replace the old galvanized piping with PEX. I've seen estimates based on square footage, but that doesn't take into account the number of fixtures, etc. Speaking of which, I can install fixtures, etc. depending on what the boss wants.
I'm in Georgia.
If it would help, I can draw up something showing the layout.
Thanks very much!

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
.....Is there a rule-of-thumb for estimating what this should cost for the rough in? We would like to replace the old galvanized piping with PEX. I've seen estimates based on square footage, but that doesn't take into account the number of fixtures, etc. ......

Since you are gutted out like a new home, cost per square ft estimate is the only way to go and each part of the country cost is different.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have a general cost per fixture based on different scenarios when I estimate costs for projects. I use a spreadsheet that I throw hours and materials for each type of fixture I'm installing. Anything out of the ordinary adds time and material to that base cost. So for your case I would be bidding it based on base cost since its all open. But I also don't bid much work without seeing the project first hand. Any "phone" bids are basically double with a lot of disclaimers in the contract.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I used to do stuff like that decades ago off counting the fixtures and charging 500 each I had other numbers I had to consider and it didn't actually include the fixtures as they would be purchased by owner or general contractor. Today I'd have to do a material take off close to what I needed and add labor according to hours, days, trips to job and guess , and pray! Sometimes Pray I don't get it ha ha
Those were the kind of job I did most bigger residential either new or remodel , But don't really do much that big any more.
the right guy for job, a service guy tends to be high on this type work , new construction may be too small or something, around here smaller company with a smallish crew seem the fit, Some do a lot of service work but take jobs like this for 1 or 2 of their guys

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks