Corrosion around WH thermostat - is this cosmetic or an Issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

RazzleFrazzle

Reaction score
Hullo, chaps. I went to turn down my water heater thermostat for the summer in my new cheap apartment and found this:

wh-element-rust-01.jpg

wh-element-rust-02.jpg

Obviously, this doesn't look great. I'll be sending off a message to my apartment maintenance, but I wanted to ask some professionals - On a scale from 1 to totally screwed, how bad is this? Am I getting worked up over nothing, or is this Bad News?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Well, it's not cosmetic, but I don't know how far along it is to a leak. Then again, I"m not a pro at this.

I will say that whomever installed it did a sloppy job. The wires should be formed into a hook so more of it is clamped underneath the screw. ANd, there has been a slow leak, so things weren't sealed well.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
"Am I getting worked up over nothing, or is this Bad News?"

- You are on the way to bad news.
Replace the WH, you have nothing to gain by holding on to it.
Good thing you decided to focus on this now, rather than later when you have a leak or a short.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks