Correct way to secure hose bib in hole that's too large?

Users who are viewing this thread

Wade G

Reaction score
I am a new homeowner, and my two frost free hosebibs are not secured to the brick house. The holes are too big, so the previous owner stuffed some wood shims in there, but I can easily twist and pull on them, which makes me afraid of using the hose and accidentally giving it too good of a tug!

I could get one screw in one side to affix it to the brick, but the other side then won't be over the brick in the other side to secure it since the hole is too big. I'm still left with a massive gap as well..can I fill it with mortar like between the bricks? Other ideas?

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hose bib mounting plate.

Attachments

• hbmp-3.jpg
    hbmp-3.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 445
  • woodford-repair-clamps-rk-osf-64_1000.jpg
    woodford-repair-clamps-rk-osf-64_1000.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 433

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
A picture may help. If the hole is too large for the screws to be set in stable masonry, you might want to pack the entire void in lead or hydraulic cement.

Wade G

Reaction score
With that larger plate that splits in half, that should be good. Hole may only be 1/4" in diameter larger than the pipe, but I don't want to dismantle anything to get the solid plate on. Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
You could insert some caulk before applying the plate.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am a new homeowner, and my two frost free hosebibs are not secured to the brick house. The holes are too big, so the previous owner stuffed some wood shims in there, but I can easily twist and pull on them, which makes me afraid of using the hose and accidentally giving it too good of a tug!

I could get one screw in one side to affix it to the brick, but the other side then won't be over the brick in the other side to secure it since the hole is too big. I'm still left with a massive gap as well..can I fill it with mortar like between the bricks? Other ideas?

They sell mortar in a caulk tube. that's what we use

Paul Blumer

Reaction score

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks