Correct use of washers on toilet tank bolts

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
One of the tank-to-bowl bolts on one of my toilets has rusted and snapped off on the outside of the tank. I bought a new kit with brass bolts, metal and rubber washers, etc. but want to double-check the order in which you use these things.

Thinking about this from top to bottom, I know I need to use a rubber washer inside the tank; do I need to use a metal washer between the bolt head and the rubber washer?

fluidmaster-bolts-package.gif

This kit has 4 rubber washers but doesn't say where the other 2 go -- I 'm assuming on the outside of the tank, followed by a metal washer and hex nut?

fluidmaster-bolts.gif

Then the bolts go through the holes in the bowl and the tank is actually held to the bowl with the wing nuts provided...

Pls let me know if this is right or wrong -- very poor instructions on the kit...

Thanks
Steve Wengel

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
There are different schools of thought on this. Here is what I do:

Working from the top: rubber washer right up against the bolt head ( NO METAL WASHER ); this now goes through the bottom of the tank. Now I put a metal washer and then a nut. No rubber washer on the underside of the tank. I can snug this nut up real tight to ensure a good seal inside tank, and this can be tightened without fear of cracking porcelain.

Now, the tank gets set on the bowl. I put up a rubber washer, then a metal washer, then the nut ( which may be a wing nut or regular hex nut.) This nut gets hand-tightened ONLY. NEVER a wrench here. I push down gently on one side of the tank and then the other to allow finger tightening and proper leveling of the tank.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Jimbo! Just what I needed.

In the past I had used a metal washer inside the tank (between bolt head and rubber washer) and I think maybe that's why things corroded -- dissimilar metals together under water...

I especially like your advice about tightening the bottom nuts alternately, and by hand.

Snowman

Reaction score
Website
blizphotos.wordpress.com
Working from the top: rubber washer right up against the bolt head ( NO METAL WASHER ); this now goes through the bottom of the tank. Now I put a metal washer and then a nut. No rubber washer on the underside of the tank. I can snug this nut up real tight to ensure a good seal inside tank, and this can be tightened without fear of cracking porcelain.

Now that's is the "slickest" thing I 've ever heard.........
I'd have never thought of that...... "puttin on a set of bolts BEFORE you attach the tank to the bowl. Pure genius!! If I hang around here much longer, no telling what will happen!! Thanks jimbo.......

:cool: Tom

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
bolts

Some of the old American Standard tanks do not have enough space between the tank and the bowl for the extra nuts, but for most other systems double nuts are the only way to go. But I still tighten the bottom nuts to the bowl with a wrench. In fact some bowls do not have enough room for the wing nuts so I use hex nuts there also.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks