Correct order of components on drip system zones.

Users who are viewing this thread

garya505

Reaction score
Abbreviations:
PRF = Rainbird PRF-075-RBY Pressure Reducing Filter
AVB = Orbit 51059 Atmospheric Vacuum Breaker
ZoneValve = Rainbird 075DV or 100DV

I have an existing system that I am adding 2 zones to, for drip irrigation only. The existing system has a main shutoff valve followed by filter (RainBird RBY-075-200MX) and a master valve (Rainbird DVF). After the master valve, the line then has a "tee" to the existing front yard drip system and the backyard.
MainShutOffValve->MainFilter->MasterValve->MainTee

The front yard drip system (zone 1) has a zone valve (100DV) followed by an AVB (Orbit 51059 Atmospheric Vacuum Breaker) and then a PRF (Rainbird PRF075RBY Pressure Reducing Filter). This system works fine and will not be changed.
MainTee->ZoneValve1->AVB->PRF

The backyard is what I am adding now. I will tee the line for 2 more zones (zone 2 and 3). I will use Rainbird 075DV or 100DV valves and PRF (Rainbird PRF-075-RBY Pressure Reducing Filter). I will also have an AVB (Orbit 51059 Atmospheric Vacuum Breaker) on each zone. I understand that the AVB must be after the valve. My question is regarding the the order of the PRF and AVB on each backyard zone.
1. MainTee->BackyardTee->ZoneValve2->PRF->AVB (this is the order I would like to use because it's easier)
2. MainTee->BackyardTee->ZoneValve3->AVB->PRF (this is the order on the front yard zone)

So, the basic question is, does it matter if the AVB is before or after the PRF? If one of the above is better, then why? If option 1 is acceptable, I might use the Rainbird XCZ-075-PRF combo kit.

garya505

Reaction score
Also, should I consider using the Rainbird Anti-Siphon Valve 075ASVF or 100ASVF on the backyard zones? Can I use these on the 2 backyard zones if the front yard zone has an AVB? Zones are independent and will only one at a time.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Vacuum breaker is after the valve but I do not think you'll need one. There should be one after the master valve and no further ones would be needed. Is this city water or a well/pressure tank, or a irrigation pump? A vacuum breaker or a anti siphon valve is to prevent irrigation water being drawn into your domestic water supply.

If you main water pipes are 1" or larger, use the same size valves. Then branch off to 3/4" to finally 1/2"

Water flow for this image is left to right.
orbit-sprinkler-valves-57604-64_100.jpg

garya505

Reaction score
Vacuum breaker is after the valve but I do not think you'll need one. There should be one after the master valve and no further ones would be needed. Is this city water or a well/pressure tank, or a irrigation pump? A vacuum breaker or a anti siphon valve is to prevent irrigation water being drawn into your domestic water supply.

If you main water pipes are 1" or larger, use the same size valves. Then branch off to 3/4" to finally 1/2"

Water flow for this image is left to right.
orbit-sprinkler-valves-57604-64_100.jpg

Thanks for the reply. In the front yard (where it is connected to the water supply) I have a master valve but no vacuum breaker after that valve. I only have a vacuum breaker on the front yard zone (zone 1), so the two back yard zones will need their own vacuum breaker(s). Since there will be two valves in the backyard (one for each zone) I'll need to vacuum breakers. But that wasn't the real question ...

My only real question was the order of the Pressure Reducing Filter and the Atmospheric Vacuum Breaker, which will both be after the zone valve.
Either:
1. ZoneValve2->PRF->AVB (this is the order I would like to use because it's easier)
or
2. ZoneValve3->AVB->PRF (this is the order on the front yard zone)

I think it doesn't matter, as long as both the AVB and PRF are after the valve. I plan to use #1.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks