Correct float setting for this backup sump pump?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I just installed this Zoeller 508 backup system to pair up with my existing M53. The trouble is, my sump pit inlet pipe comes into the pit relatively low. If I follow the Zoeller install recommendations they prefer maximum float travel to minimize short cycles on the backup pump, but that would mean my inlet pipe would be totally underwater. I set the "on" float position for the backup to trip just as the inlet pipe almost fills at the pit location. I'm not an engineering expert, but I thought I read somewhere about hydrostatic pressure causing issues from too much standing water in the drain tile system.

So, the way I see it, I'm left with 2 options:

1.) Let the pit fill as much as possible without worrying about the inlet filling since this will only be a rare case in a "backup" situation.
2.) Keep the water from rising beyond the top of the inlet pipe by setting the "on" float as I currently have it in this picture

Thanks for your input!
20200815_172031 - Copy.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks