Correct Duct Size For Bath Remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

brb

Reaction score
I'm remodeling my 1920's 2nd story bathroom. Had some asbestos ducts that were removed to make room for a pocket door in the bath. One duct fed a small 3rd upstairs bedroom and the other fed the bathroom. they were both 2 1/4 X12. The amount of airflow in the bathroom was way to much. I know that there are a ton of variables in how many cfm a room needs. However, doing a rough estimate of the room size and factoring in a air change of 6 times per hour, the bathroom needs about 34 cfm (its small 7x6). The adjoining bedroom is only needing about 70 cfm.

The supply lines from the furnace are 6in round. I am debating on what to run up to these vents. It seems like everyone has a different opinion on this. This would be running through a wall. The wall could be made into a 2X6 wall but is 2X4 at this point. There is a 4ft 6in pipe out of the furnace to where it goes up 100in through the wall and then would need to take a 90 degree bend to go 72in to another 90 degree up to the stack head.

Should I run one large vent and share the flow between the two room with a double stack head or run two oval pipes, one to each room? I think I would need a 5in oval for the bath and a 7in for the bedroom. Also, the bath will have proper insulation compared to the nothing that was there previously.

Thanks, for any input.

Last edited:

Havoc/r

Reaction score
I'm remodeling my 1920's 2nd story bathroom. Had some asbestos ducts that were removed to make room for a pocket door in the bath. One duct fed a small 3rd upstairs bedroom and the other fed the bathroom. they were both 2 1/4 X12. The amount of airflow in the bathroom was way to much. I know that there are a ton of variables in how many cfm a room needs. However, doing a rough estimate of the room size and factoring in a air change of 6 times per hour, the bathroom needs about 34 cfm (its small 7x6). The adjoining bedroom is only needing about 70 cfm.

The supply lines from the furnace are 6in round. I am debating on what to run up to these vents. It seems like everyone has a different opinion on this. This would be running through a wall. The wall could be made into a 2X6 wall but is 2X4 at this point. There is a 4ft 6in pipe out of the furnace to where it goes up 100in through the wall and then would need to take a 90 degree bend to go 72in to another 90 degree up to the stack head.

Should I run one large vent and share the flow between the two room with a double stack head or run two oval pipes, one to each room? I think I would need a 5in oval for the bath and a 7in for the bedroom. Also, the bath will have proper insulation compared to the nothing that was there previously.

Thanks, for any input.

Run two stacks

brb

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I thought that was probably the best thing to do. Can i run the 5in oval right on top of the 7in or do they need to be separated?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks