Correct drain plumbing( pic attached)

Users who are viewing this thread

Supperfly17

Reaction score
I moved into a house and this is how the sink/washing machine drain looks like. Does this look correct?
My wife finds that she has to have the sink closed from top in order for it to smell less when she is washing clothes. Any help is appreciated.

20200417_194646.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Smells less? I wonder what is back in the wall where the vent should be. Normal plumbing would have a vent to break the siphon on the p-trap when water is being drained down it to keep a water seal to prevent smells and gas from coming up.

What you have looks pretty odd. A washer p-trap and standpipe are 2" and it looks like you might have 1-1/2" going into the wall. Do you know if the trap there is siphoning? That would be your smell, and if so adding an AAV before the wall would help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks