Corian tub/shower surround installed over Redgard

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by bluebinky, Feb 3, 2017.

1. bluebinky

bluebinky Member

Electrical/Embedded Software Engineer, Retired
    The wife comes home just after I finish waterproofing the Hardieboard tub surround and decides that a solid surface surround is the way to go after all. It doesn't seem that silicone will adhere properly to the Redgard.

Should I go over the Redgard with skim coat of (modified) thinset, or any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

2. CountryBumkin

CountryBumkin Active Member

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. MKS

MKS Member

Would covering the redgard with 1/4 inch backer board be a deal breaker?

5. dj2

dj2 In the Trades

You can you use modified thin set (powder type, not the premixed) over redgard.

6. bluebinky

bluebinky Member

Electrical/Embedded Software Engineer, Retired
    Thanks. That is what I was originally planning to do for putting up tile.

Any idea how well dabs of silicone will adhere to a skim coat of thin set? Which would stick better overall, modified or unmodified?

As for putting up more backerboard, it would seem much better to not penetrate the water barrier. It would still probably be better than using greenboard, as the manufacturer suggests.

I'll search on the johnbridge forum.