Cordless Heat Gun anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

ThirdGenPump

In the Trades
Reaction score
So I didn't even know this was a thing till yesterday.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/cordless/2688-21

I've never really made use of a corded heat gun either so have no idea what the expectations would be. My go to for heat shrinks and HDPE connections has always been a propane torch. If I need to bend PVC conduit I use a heat blanket. If I get caught without a heat blanket I'll use a torch but I hate sanding off char marks.

Technically it's hot enough to do solder, but I imagine that would be a slow process.

Anyone know what the actual wattage comparison is between a heat gun and a torch?

Anyone got experience with one or thoughts on using them in our line of work?

Stuff

Reaction score
Look at the pictures. It appears designed for heat shrink tubing. Small opening so spot heating

ThirdGenPump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't think an electric heat gun gets close to the temp of a torch. Correct me if I am wrong.
Not anywhere near. The gun is 850 fahrenheit vs a propane torch at 3600f.

I'm wondering it the gun is going to try my patience for heat shrinks. If it isn't a whole lot slower it might have use.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
I’ll have to see what it costs. I ONLY use heat guns for shrink tubing. I’ve told my guys I’ll fire them if they try to use a propane torch on shrink tubing. It’s too easy to overheat it and/or burn the wires adjacent to the shrink tube.

I have a generator mounted on the pump trucks but I can see where cordless would be nice. And it’s got a 7 second heating time.

ThirdGenPump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I’ll have to see what it costs. I ONLY use heat guns for shrink tubing. I’ve told my guys I’ll fire them if they try to use a propane torch on shrink tubing. It’s too easy to overheat it and/or burn the wires adjacent to the shrink tube.

I have a generator mounted on the pump trucks but I can see where cordless would be nice. And it’s got a 7 second heating time.

Kit sells for $239(gun, shrouds(2), battery(1), charger, case)

Just the gun with nothing else is $119.

Watching reviews it seems decent. Comes up to temp really fast. A 5ah battery is good for about 18minutes continuous.

I've always used a propane torch. Some other guys in my area use a lighter. Don't know anyone that uses a heat gun.

I'm going to try one out. If it doesn't work out maybe I'll go into the window tinting business, to recoup the investment.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yeah a corded heat gun from harbor freight is about fifteen bucks. Maybe $50 from NAPA. Takes about the same time as a handheld propane torch and you don’t scorch the tubing or wire insulation.

GTOwagon

Reaction score
An electric heat gun is handy to have around for small task. Shrink wrap, heating some things up without the gas smell, easy to use. A handy homeowner tool to have laying around. But I can't imagine justifying the cost and also the continued cost of replacing batteries. I think twenty five bucks or so buys a small electric one, but I have had so many I have gotten at auctions, or second hand that I am not sure. I use them in my business (my day job!) for packing products. Just my personal insight.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks