Copper Water Supply under Kitchen Sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Lisa Karl

Reaction score
I'm trying to replace my kitchen faucet. I cannot seem to get the old water supply lines removed. I think they are flexible copper. I finally got the nut off, but can't get the -- is it compression ring, ferrule? -- off. I got them both loosened, but that's about it. I've already put in a couple of hours on this and am about to lose my mind! Any suggestions? Thanks!

Attachments

• 20170629_182832.jpg
    20170629_182832.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 1,784

Reach4

Reaction score
Your new faucet may come with its own supply line. In that case, you will discard the copper, nut and ferrule.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Why would you try to remove the ferrule? Either those copper lines are being reused, or they aren't. In either
case, you would leave the ferrules alone. Reusing compression connections sometimes works, but
frequently doesn't. It would be advisable to use new flexible ("braided") faucet supplies, assuming the the faucet doesn't
come equipped with them (many do these days).

Lisa Karl

Reaction score
I don't want to reuse any of it...but I can't seem to get it off. Here's pic of the new faucet.

Attachments

• 20170629_192020.jpg
    20170629_192020.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 1,614

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't want to reuse any of it...but I can't seem to get it off. Here's pic of the new faucet.
Are you saying that you cannot separate the copper from the valve by just lifting? You may have to bend the copper a bit so that it is not like you are pressing a rod. Maybe grab the copper, with a pliers, near its middle, and twist. If you have a hacksaw handy, you could cut the copper near its middle.

You also might consider replacing the stop valves with new quarter-turn valves. Not necessary.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally you just reach in there and bend the old copper tubing which lets you pull it up and away from the shutoff after the nut has been removed like in your picture.
The new supplies thread in cleanly. No tape needed.

Lisa Karl

Reaction score
Reach4 & Terry,

THANK YOU. I needed to get my son to do it (a little more muscle, lol), and it just popped off. Whew. Now on to the rest of the project. Hopefully, I won't be back. ;)
Thank you al again --Lisa

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks