Copper water supply line

Users who are viewing this thread

Cscjjd

Reaction score
Hello,

I will be replacing part of my home's underground water supply line and I have a few questions...
1. Will I be able to sweat a new fitting onto the 3/4" copper going into the home using a propane torch (to replace the compression coupling in the photo below) ? I am wondering if the soil will be such a heat sink that I will not be able to heat the pipe sufficiently with a propane torch?
CIMG3105smallb.JPG

2. Would a brass compression fitting be a suitable option instead of a sweated fitting?
1645817441460.png

3. I would like to replace the 3 year old cutoff valve that already has corrosion issues. Would a full port PVC ball valve be OK?
1645817118463.png
CIMG3131small.JPG

Thanks!

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can't solder underground copper. Not because it won't solder, it's because a solder joint isnt a weld or mechanical joint. Brazing is a type of weld.

You need tio flare it and use flare fittings. These are a bit specialized. Call a plumber to get you up out of the ground.

Cscjjd

Reaction score
I am not sure I used the correct term. This part of the supply line is under a concrete meter box which is embedded in the concrete driveway. Is this still considered underground? Thanks.
CIMG3127small.JPG

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am not sure I used the correct term. This part of the supply line is under a concrete meter box which is embedded in the concrete driveway. Is this still considered underground? Thanks.
View attachment 81451
Yeah. Ground movement is why a solder joint isnt kosher.

Still need flaring tools or brazing rod and flux for dissimilar metals.

Plant.One

Just here for the Beer.
Reaction score
If I understand correctly, SharkBite fittings would only be OK if I decide to use PEX for the replacement pipe?
push to connect fittings (sharkbite is a brand name) are good for copper or pex.

Could you please expand on this - what is the drawback to this type of valve?

Thanks!
on my expierence - those valves dont age well at standard room temps. they bind up, and in general fail over time, significantly sooner than a brass valve will anyway. just install a good quarter turn valve in there.

pex with metal valve is a much more suitable replacement, and will be much simpler to install/repair due to its flexibility and your confined space you're working in IMHO

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
I wouldn't use a PVC ball valve, and I wouldn't use a brass one unless it had a stainless steel handle - the plated steel ones corrode and can fail in moist locations.

Cscjjd

Reaction score
I wouldn't use a PVC ball valve, and I wouldn't use a brass one unless it had a stainless steel handle - the plated steel ones corrode and can fail in moist locations.
Thanks Mr. tee - I think that's what happening with the valve that's in there now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks