Copper water pipes in cement slab

Users who are viewing this thread

Lois Lane

Reaction score
It's the weekend, and I am going at it again. Our final and last bathroom remodel. It is in the basement of a 1950's quad level. The water pipes to the top floor bathrooms run under the slab of the basement bathroom floor. I know they are leaking, but my water pressure is great. There was quite a bit of erosion of the slab under the wall of the bathroom, and the slab feels and looks damp where the pipes are, and you can feel a warm spot on the floor. If I could figure out where the pipes go up through the wall between the basement and the walk out level to the top floor I would rerun them through the basement ceiling. I think I would have to take out the shower to find them, and I really don't want to do that right now. It of course is an old tile shower on 2 inches of mud and diamond lath. How bad is it if I just pour concrete down the void under the basement bathroom wall, put in a new wall and ignore the problem?

PXL_20220321_000850912.jpg
PXL_20220322_214026346.jpg
PXL_20220323_232601137.jpg

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Do you have a water meter with the small dial that spins showing a small amount of flow?
Water leaks only get bigger. If there was anytime to bypass a leak, the time would be now. To me, bypass means new pipe routed around the problem.
I would think that the water lines to the shower are in the wall and not the pan. Perhaps access from a room behind it?

I had one customer with a slab leak, thought it was a bad water heater not keeping up. Nope, it was a copper leak under the slab.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
many times an underslab line can be capped off where it enters slab and a new line rerouted above through walls or ceilings. but what ever it takes repair the leak

Lois Lane

Reaction score
Thanks all. That is not the answer I was looking to hear. When I look at the water bill, (I didn't think to actually check the meter!) I figure the leaks are costing $10-$20 a month, but I also have a boiler for heat and some of the heating pipes go under the slab as well :mad:. Removeing and replacing is a huge and expensive job for the heating pipes. I think I could reroute the water pipes in the basement bath to the ceiling, if I could only figure out where to look for the pipes that go up to the top floor. I like plumbing repairs. I hate plaster repairs.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
My water is 150 to 300 a month a 10 or 20 bucks fluctuation I would never have a clue anything is wrong by water billing.
usually you can figure it out somewhat, or hire a leak detectinon company . that old bath room in a basement Id surface mount the pipes paint it out . too many details unknown but generaly avoid old 60 plus year old pipes underground that were likely never properly protected, at your leisure before they bust. So id start a plan to eliminate all underground lines in the house and implement as budget and time allows

Reach4

Reaction score
but I also have a boiler for heat and some of the heating pipes go under the slab as well :mad:.
If you cut off the valve that supplies the refill valve for the heat, see if the pressure stays up in the heating system. The point would be to distinguish a leak in the heating pipes vs the other pipes.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Pipe is leaking 24/7 how long will it be till theres structure damage from the ground settling from the ground washing out or the flooring gets destroyed.

Lois Lane

Reaction score
Thanks all! I figured out that the water pipes go not only under the basement slab but then up half a story and under the walk out slab as well all the way to the back of the house before going up to the top level. Too big a job for me. For now I am just going to finish the bathroom. Luckily the house is built on sand and has excellent drainage, so I think I have time to eventually fix the problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks