Copper types

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
"M" is light weight, thin-walled copper pipe normally only used in internal residential use.
"L" is medium weight, thicker-walled pipe that normally can be used in residential and commercial.
"K" is heavy duty, thick-walled copper pipe used for underground installation such as a main supply line from the meter.
The exterior dimensions of the copper pipe are the same for each type so that common fittings will make up.
Check with your Building Inspection Department to see what is required or allowed by local code in which application.
Good Luck!
Mike

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
In commercial work we tend to use K for underground mains (building supplies etc) and L for eveything else..
M is only used for condensate lines and trap primers if required...
Only time we vary on this is if speced...

irate808

Plumber
Reaction score
Here in Hawaii, we use mostly type m. I have not had any problems at all. And its cheaper than the other types.:cool: Only underground do I use type k, and thats almost always in soft.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks