Copper to PVC

Users who are viewing this thread

TRFS

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

The 2" copper on this drain pipe has become thin is starting to leak. I would like to replace it with PVC but I wanted to know how you all would handle this. Should I just start heating up the base of the copper fitting where it meets the iron hub and hope it'll mostly pull out or should I cut it flush first?

Also, is a Fernco 2"x2" be the appropriate connection? This is on a washer drain line.
Thanks!

Copper Pipe Connection.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
That thing at the bottom is a cast iron hub. You can confirm that with a magnet.

One way to treat this is to saw the copper pipe. Drill and pry out the lead, and put your new piece of PVC into the hub with a Fernco Donut.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The cast fitting is 2"
I would remove the lead and oakum, and using a donut, push in some new 2" PVC
You can bevel the end, and lube it up with some dish soap.

fernco-donut-4-inch.jpg

index.php

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Buy both the regular donut and the extra duty donut when you replace the bronze fitting as Terry mentions. If the regular donut is too loose, use the heavy one.. If you buy one or the other.. Murphys Law kicks in.

TRFS

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys! This confirmed what I thought was under there.

@Terry , I know you're not a fan of burn lead out of iron pipe. Should I be prepared to just try to chisel it out once I cut the bronze fitting?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks