Copper to Poly (black PE) transition

Users who are viewing this thread

Count Fred

Reaction score
I have 1 1/2" black poly line running up my driveway. What sort of transition fitting do I need to hook this up to the 3/4" soft copper coming off the water meter.

Also, I'd like to be able to shut the water off just on my side of the meter before it goes up my driveway. Should I put a valve on the end of the copper section before the transition, or on the poly section?

How do I bury this valve to protect is from frost? Do I bury the whole thing, or can I bring the pipe up into my own box (like the box the meter is in) make the valve and transition connections there and then send it back down to the required frost proof depth?

Cheers,
JFS III

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
They make a poly by stainless but fusion adapter. Of course you need a fusion machine and a certificate to use it. Expose it and call a pro.

Reaction score
Website
www.sandpiperplumbing.com
We used black poly in New Jersey all the time for water lines and well work. We used brass barb X male fittings. We'd warm (NOTE: warm...not melt!) the poly a little with the torch, slip the barb fitting in, let it cool and clamp it with two stainless steel clamps. Once to a male fitting, you can reduce down to your 3/4 copper line.

Stay below your frost line. Period! Do NOT run the pipe up and back down to make an accessible valve. ANY line or fitting above your frost line could (and most likely will) freeze.

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
If you do want a shutoff valve, you can get a underground valve that uses a vertical metal pipe and a removable T handle to turn it on and off.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks