Copper to PEX

Users who are viewing this thread

Kingsdrummer210

Reaction score
I just bought a new water heater off of a friend of mine, and his pipes were copper. Mine however are PEX, he kept the 18'' of copper coming out of the top so I wouldn't have to buy any more, and it went by the code. But I was curious as to how would I go about connecting PEX pipes to the copper pipes coming out of my new water heater? Is there a special way to do it, or can I just use a couple of the copper push-in fittings?

Last edited by a moderator:

wallbobby

Reaction score
You can use either push fittings or you can braze on a couple of adapters to the copper if you've got a torch and some solder handy, and you have the PEX tool to make the PEX connection. Either works fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kingsdrummer210

Reaction score
So it's not going to mess it up, sorry about the double question lol. I definitely don't want to have it blow the piping or anything. I have the push fittings on hand, but no solder or the necessary tools to do it that way. I'd rather do the braze and solder, but the lady I'm doing the job for is not patient if you get my drift haha.

wallbobby

Reaction score
As long as you use the push fittings correctly (I'm assuming sharkbite type?) it will work perfectly fine.

Kingsdrummer210

Reaction score
Ya, they're sharkbites. They're just the copper ones instead of the plastic ones, our whatever material they're made out of haha, also thank you. You've helped me out tremendously

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks