Copper to PEX adapter question

Users who are viewing this thread

MTLMIKEscott

Reaction score
I have copper but I plan on renovating my bathrooms and making the switch to PEX. When installing the adapter, should I be using a simple sweat to PEX adapter? Is installing a sweat to PEX shutoff valve common practice or would that be unnecessary and possibly even give be negative in that it would be restricting water flow for no reason.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I prefer a copper to PEX adapter that is sweated. You can also Sharkbite it, but most plumbers prefer not to. I still lean to copper stub outs for my compression stops. Some plumbers are Sharkbiting those on PEX or using expansion stops with PEX. So many choices.

MTLMIKEscott

Reaction score
I prefer a copper to PEX adapter that is sweated. You can also Sharkbite it, but most plumbers prefer not to. I still lean to copper stub outs for my compression stops. Some plumbers are Sharkbiting those on PEX or using expansion stops with PEX. So many choices.
Thanks Terry! Interesting you mention copper stub outs. In my area (Montreal) I notice most houses with PEX do not use copper stub outs for toilets, they bring the PEX out as a stub out with a visible crimp ring. A positive being one less connection behind a wall but for this method, is the only drawback cosmetic? (ugly compares to copper stub out) Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks