Copper supply piping - No Y fittings?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Stuff, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Stuff

Stuff Well-Known Member

Just a theory question. Would copper supply lines in a home benefit much from using wyes instead of tees? This assumes a traditional system without manifolds.

Also - why no long radius copper 90s? I have seen them used in old houses and air conditioner linesets.

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    It's a lot more work to measure for the diangle on a 45. And copper is expensive, you making little mistakes would kill some of the savings. It's real easy to measure off for the 90's.
    I've seen some of the long turn 90's, but never used them in plumbing.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. hj

hj Master Plumber

Plumber
    WHether a "Y" is better or not is immzterizl, unless you are going into the business of forging your own. LR 90's are readily available at any air conditioning supply house for a price, and remember to give them the correct size.

5. dj2

dj2 In the Trades

A copper Y would be expensive and the slow demand will kill the idea. Use a 45 if you have a need for something like this.

6. Stuff

Stuff Well-Known Member

Thanks for the comments. I don't have need but was curious after I saw some Ys in metric sizes. And they were actually in a Y shape.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2021