Copper supply piping - No Y fittings?

Users who are viewing this thread

Stuff

Reaction score
Just a theory question. Would copper supply lines in a home benefit much from using wyes instead of tees? This assumes a traditional system without manifolds.

Also - why no long radius copper 90s? I have seen them used in old houses and air conditioner linesets.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's a lot more work to measure for the diangle on a 45. And copper is expensive, you making little mistakes would kill some of the savings. It's real easy to measure off for the 90's.
I've seen some of the long turn 90's, but never used them in plumbing.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
WHether a "Y" is better or not is immzterizl, unless you are going into the business of forging your own. LR 90's are readily available at any air conditioning supply house for a price, and remember to give them the correct size.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
A copper Y would be expensive and the slow demand will kill the idea. Use a 45 if you have a need for something like this.

Stuff

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. I don't have need but was curious after I saw some Ys in metric sizes. And they were actually in a Y shape.

copper-wye-fittings.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks