Copper pipes encased in concrete slab

Users who are viewing this thread

HN2018

Reaction score
Hello,

I will be pouring a concrete patio and will need to encase the outside copper line (3/4 in) for the hose bib in the slab. The outside hose bib is about 1.5 " under the level of the patio. So I will need to re-route it so that the pipe will be lower.

Option 1. This will be done outside and easily accessible. I can extend the copper pipe and also lower it by soldering. Sleeve all the straight sections with Schedule 40 PVC pipes (white stuff) or foam insulation. For all areas that does not have a sleeve, I will tape all joints, exposed gaps with 10 mil PVC tape and use electrician putty to water proofing openings. Then pour concrete.

Option 2. I go in the crawlspace, cut the pipe and lower it to the right depth by soldering, drill a hole through the concrete footing, extend the pipe through the sleeve, water proof both ends of sleeve with electrician putty. Then pour concrete.

I will need to drill a 1 in (or what ever the size is for the sleeve) hole through the concrete footing.

Q1. Will Option 1 work? Can I encased or taped soldered copper fittings in concrete? Easily accessible now but not for repair later after concrete is poured.

Q2. Will Option 2 work? More work now in crawlspace but can repair fittings should they leak.

Q3. Which Option is better?

Any suggestions would be appreciated and thank you for your time and help.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
It would be nice to have a better understanding of the distance and routing between the house and the hose bib to have a better understanding of the project. We don't see any water lines here that are not buried a couple feet below the ground, with the exception of the plastic tubing used for lawn irrigation. If you are thinking of putting any regular soldered joints in the ground (or concrete) you should stop now and rethink your plan.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks