Copper pipe too short to attach a coupling and extension?

Users who are viewing this thread

DRussell

Reaction score
I am fixing an angle stop valve that was professionally installed about four years ago. The stem broke when I turned it on after having it off during vacation. This is a cold water supply valve to a washing machine. I wish these valves were made better, but I know that our hard water is partly to blame. The valve is compression-fit to the copper pipe. The stub sticks out about 1 & 1/4" from the wall, but more than half of it is compressed by the fitting (see shiny part on photo), rendering it too small in diameter to solder. I would need to cut off the compressed part and sweat a new coupling and short copper pipe on it, as I have done with other valves in the house. But this one is the shortest stub yet. Is there any way I would not need to cut away the wall and solder behind the wall's outer surface?
IMG_0714.JPG

DRussell

Reaction score
I would cut 1/2" off the end so the compression ring fits further back. You might need a flatter escutcheon.
Thanks! That sure saves time sweating (in all meanings of the word). The nut might be so close to the wall that I can't use an escutcheon, but I will try this before cutting away the wall.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
A neat solution would be to go with what's called " Dual Outlet Washing Machine Outlet Box", for which you will have to cut the wall (this box goes inside the wall) and modify the pipes inside the wall to fit.
You can even get one with Hammer Arresters.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
A neat solution would be to go with what's called " Dual Outlet Washing Machine Outlet Box", for which you will have to cut the wall (this box goes inside the wall) and modify the pipes inside the wall to fit.
You can even get one with Hammer Arresters.

I did this myself -- used a nice Oatey WM box with quarter-turn valves. Had to cut and patch some drywall but was very much worth it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks