Copper pipe soldering distance

Users who are viewing this thread

Evergoing

Reaction score
Hi, is there a regulation for the distance between soldering on copper pipe? my contractor change water route and also accidentally cut the copper pipe, as a result he had to solder short pieces together. see photo. Will that create weak points during earthquake?
Also, can one use flexible metal connector for tub drainage (shown on photo)

Thank you in advance for your advice!

IMG_8257.jpg

Taylorjm

Reaction score
OMG.... Please cut that entire mess out and replace at least 6" back from each end of that 90. If that mess doesn't leak now, it will soon. There's way too much tension on the pipes being so crooked. Then take away your contractors torch because he's pretty clueless when it comes to sweating copper. If he thinks the 90 will be too close to the other 90 in the picture (hard to tell the depth, then just use 2 - 45's.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The distance between fittings is IMMATERIAL as long as they are soldered properly. Good practice, however, would be to have the minimum number of joints. NOT a bunch of couplings one after the other. That looks like a handyman job rather than a plumber's repair.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The breaking stress on a properly done solder joint is significant...IOW, the joint won't come apart or leak, so no issue with things shaking during an earthquake, at least as a result of those joints.

But, as was said, the more joints, the more opportunity for failure, and, especially if the ends of the pipe after being cut were not reamed properly, that can cause turbulence, and over time, that can be a problem. Not an issue if done right.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The copper isn't the prettiest, but I don't see that its got too much stress on any of it.

The no hub coupler is a legal connection to use on 2 pipes of equal diameter. Its not a "flexible" connector, its a shielded coupling.

mission_bandseal.jpg

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
That looks like a handyman job rather than a plumber's repair.
There was no mention of a plumber having done the work, only a contractor whose "plumbing skills could be below that of a handyman.

As the "acting general contractor" I did not sub out but rather did all of the plumbing when I built my house.

If I were doing that repair, I would have cut back the copper pipe to where I could use two 45 degree elbows but then maybe the contractor "made do" with what fittings he happened to have on hand.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks