Copper pipe has pinhole leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Merehd

Reaction score
Our house is from 1957 and has original copper pipes. Discovered pinhole leaks in one area today (cold water line) and had plumber fix them so we are okay for the moment.The same plumber suggested we repipe the entire house. Another plumber thinks we can get away with a partial repipe. Any suggestions? Plan to repipe with PEX due to water quality, etc.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you have done a water test, what is the pH?

If you have not, I suggest you get a water test.

Were the leaks in the same pipe, or maybe the same pipe after it was cut into a few pieces?

Merehd

Reaction score
If you have done a water test, what is the pH?

If you have not, I suggest you get a water test.

Were the leaks in the same pipe, or maybe the same pipe after it was cut into a few pieces?

Thank you! Is a water test something we can do on our own?

To add more information--the pipes run directly on the HVAC ducts touching them so the plumber thinks this is the reason behind the eventual corrosion. Whether we do a partial repipe or a full repipe, the goal is move the pipes away from the HVAC ducts for easier access. This is also a reason we want to move away from copper.

The leaks were fixed today in a 3/4 copper line and a 1/2 copper line.

Reach4

Reaction score
Thank you! Is a water test something we can do on our own?
I like test6o from http://www.karlabs.com/watertestkit/ if you have your own well. If you buy water, you can probably get the pH from the town or water company.

The leaks were fixed today in a 3/4 copper line and a 1/2 copper line.
Today the thin stuff, type M, has red ink. Medium, type L, has blue ink, and the heaviest of the common 3, type K, has green ink. I don't know if they used such colors and designations back in 1957. The new stuff that you got will have an ink color.

Merehd

Reaction score
I've done a few pin hole leaks in homes lately.
One from 1962 was the last one.

PEX would be fine for a repipe.

Thank you! Any reason there would be a problem doing a partial repipe with PEX now on horizontal pipe in basement and then replace copper vertical on first floor down the line (i.e. when remodeling later)? I would really rather not knock down more walls than we have to right now.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Dielectric effects can cause metals to degrade, so different metals touching each other in the presence of moisture (cold would sweat, at least sometimes) can cause problems. A poorly completed joint where they did not ream the end of the pipe round again after cutting can cause turbulence over time and turbulence can erode the pipe (cavitation). Is there a joint within a foot or so of where the holes are?

Sometimes, a section of pipe is just bad. Had one in the last 60-years at my mother's house...cut out the section with pinholes about 40-years ago, and no new problems since...

Unless your in an area with aggressive water and copper has problems, the cost of a total repipe may be only good for peace of mind...things could last for decades without issues again. Then again, if this has happened before, it may just be the tip of the iceberg. Can't say without further info.

If you have the section that was replaced, you could cut it open and look at the insides. That might give you an idea of what you are dealing with.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you cut the copper, make sure the electrical box has grounding rods first.
Older homes may have used the copper plumbing as their ground. Cut the copper lines, and you may create a dangerous situation there.
Our inspectors like the see the main panel properly grounded with the repipes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks