Copper or PEX or Sharkbite for a water heater install?

Users who are viewing this thread

Haeffnkr

Reaction score
Hi,
I am going to replace my gas tankless water heater with a new different model. I will need to cut and redo the copper lines. Is it easier to use PEX/Sharkbite that I have no experience with or just use copper again?

thanks in advance
haeffnkr

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you can run and sweat copper do it. if its an emergency or you don't care about quality go shark bites and plastic . Emergency or temporary the shark bites are great 2 o'clock in morning and you gotta go to work in 5 hours yes shark bites. its a rental and your moving oh heck yea gettr done!

Haeffnkr

Reaction score
I can sweat copper that is no problem. I thought there would be a few more posts about the good in using PEX ... or maybe this discussion was had many times already.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can sweat copper that is no problem. I thought there would be a few more posts about the good in using pex ... or maybe this discussion was had many times already.
Most codes still require metal pipe at the water heater. Sometimes the best option is to sweat within 18" of the heater and use metal flex connectors.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sorry little comments . the flexes are common here more so on a tank but a tankless less often usually we use a flex on gas connections. Just a opinion but shark bites and PEX is poor workmanship not the kind of thing I'd want glaring at me when showing off my new water heater install . Some may disagree perhaps 2 shark bites total on the copper might look OK or Sharkbite water flex. But beyond that isn't something I would do.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think the most important part is what John mentioned.. Metallic pipe connected and extending at least 18" to and from the water heater. I don't like transitioning types of pipe in a small area. I prefer to stay with whichever is stubbed out.

Haeffnkr

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I will have to plan out as much as I can and pre solder some sections then take a day off work to cut, remove, mount and connect the new heater. Including iron pipe for gas. Any one want to help in the STL area :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks