Copper naphthenate -- where to get?

Users who are viewing this thread

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Where can I buy Copper Naphthenate, or another substance to paint on to the end of treated lumber that has been cut? bLowes didn't have it or anything similar. :(

Thanks,
Jason

BigLou

Reaction score
Jason,
blowes never ever has a speciality product. try the local lumber yard

Lou

Lakee911

Reaction score
Ok. Will do. So I don't look like more of a dumb-rearend than I really am, how do you pronounce them long fancy fangled names?

NAAF-tha-nate?

How much should I pay?

Thx
Jason

Lakee911

Reaction score
Two local lumberyards didn't carry it or anything similiar. One suggested soaking them in a linseed oil based sealer. The other said it's not necessary. :(

Jason

BigLou

Reaction score
Jason,
ask for Wood preservative, there are several different flavors.
it really shows you how much attention to detail the average person/contractor has when you can't find a product thats really necessary to do the job right.

Lou

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
HD sells a BEHR product called deck and post preservative or something like that, that's 25% Copper Naphthenate.

MarkState

Reaction score
I think it is the same thing...[/QUOTE]

End Cut is copper carbonate, not napthenate. In 2013 the Cdn Gov't reversed its decision to ban copper napthenate. It is a superior product becsuse the kerosene component (napthenate) allows deeper penetration into the wood.
1/3 Thompsons Water Seal + 2/3 copper napthenate will preserve spruce PT or any other, even untreated, wood from insect & mold attack for up to 50 years if applied generously, even in contact with earth (although of course that's not recommended.

MarkState

Reaction score
One manufacturer of copper napthenate was Recochem in Montreal under the brand name of Copper II. They also have an office in Milton. [Montreal 514 341-3550 www. recochem. com]
Their market niche is the performace of all kinds of tricks using kerosene as a foundation. Your best bet is to contact them for info on current availability.

MarkState

Reaction score
The copper napthenate product made by Ricochem is now called ‘Armoall". They assure me it's the same thing : 2% copper in kerosene. Available in Rona, Home Hardware, and Home Depot.

Reach4

Reaction score

MarkState

Reaction score
Home Depot‘s Armorall costs $53. 00 per gallon, and does not list copper napthenate as an ingredient, although Recochem says it's there. But it may be brown, not green becsuse the label appears to list a "mocha" shade as its colour, After June 2nd, Home Depot is expecting delivery of a new Recochem product listing at $20. 00 (per gallon? ) called AA Copper II. This product lists copper napthenate. Delivery is expected to be up to a week late.

MarkState

Reaction score
Home Depot‘s Armorall costs $53. 00 per gallon, and does not list copper napthenate as an ingredient, although Recochem says it's there. But it may be brown, not green becsuse the label appears to list a "mocha" shade as its colour, After June 2nd, Home Depot is expecting delivery of a new Recochem product listing at $20. 00 (per gallon? ) called AA Copper II. This product lists copper napthenate. Delivery is expected to be up to a week late.

WARNING! PRICE INCREASE!
I just went to Home Depot for some more Copper II only to discover to my dismay that this formerly $20.00 product is now being sold by almost all retailers for a whopping $45.00!
Fortunately Canadian Tire's website lists it at $39.99.
I say fortunately because Home Depot is required to beat competitor's prices by 10%.
The Customer Service desk at Home Depot checked out Canadian Tire's website for me and sold me the Copper II for $39.99 less 10%, or $35.00. Not much of a savings over this crazy 125% price increase, but at least something.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks