Copper Closet Flange Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

flamda

Reaction score
Hello!
Newbie here.
We got a leak, I found part of subfloor was rotten, so I took it off. I found out we have 2 layers. Thankfully the other layer was dry.

photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

I want to put the new subfloor but I don't know how I should proceed.
Should I just cut the plywood in 2/4 pieces and slide them underneath the flange or should I get rid of the Flange? And how? I never saw one like that, I can't figure where it's sealed to the pipe.
Closer views

photo2.jpgphoto3.jpg

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I suspect your leak was caused by the wax ring failing to maintain a seal. When properly installed, the flange is supposed to rest on top of the finished floor. Yours it would appear was recessed. While this is not uncommon, it can cause a problem. Pros may offer other opinions, but my suggestion is to remove the flange, repair the sub floor, replace the finished floor which appears to be tile, and then have a new flange installed. The old flange appears to be in good condition, but it should be resting on top of the tile.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A flange should be secured to the floor with screws. If it's loose, the wax seal can leak.
I would at least secure the flange, and get new closet bolts.
Where your flange is, it's a two wax seal install.

flamda

Reaction score
Gary: Thanks for your answer. Actually the flange was just above the tile but I cut the 1st subfloor layer, that's why there is a gap now. I would get rid of the flange but I can't seem to see where exactly it's sealed and how to do it. When I touch under it I feel like it's going under the ground, so I think it was sealed at the outside of the pipe. But then when I put my hand in, there is a contact point inside, like 5 inches down.
I took a look under, I have a hatch in the ceiling here's what I see.

photo4.jpg

flamda

Reaction score
Terry: You're right, the falnge wasn't secured to the floor when I took of the toilet. I will take care of that.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, it looks like copper and bronze, and if so, it is soldered in. To get it apart, you'd need a big torch, but other than the bolts, it looks decent.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's copper DWV. Soldered together. I would use what you have, though if you ever need to work with your copper pipes, they do make copper to ABS couplings for that purpose.
You really don't want to put a torch on that fitting.

flamda

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your help! I will just keep the flange like it is and put the subfloor underneath.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
What I'm getting from the guys' posts is that in answer to your original question, you want to cut some new wood, slide it under the outer edges of the flange, and secure the flange to your new wood and through it to the lower layer. You can take out that nasty closet bolt that's still there, but when you put in new closet bolts, get the kind that have two sets of washers and nuts each: one set to secure the bolt to the flange like is done on that one remaining bolt and one set to secure the toilet to the floor. Put the new wax ring(s) down on top of the flange, not the bottom of the toilet, and then smush the toilet straight down slowly on the wax until it contacts the floor firmly, without rocking or twisting the toilet (because wax doesn't "spring back"). Then you should have a nice seal, and you can caulk all around the toilet. Polyseamseal (a little tube of it) is a good product to use.

If you want to really pro the thing, dry fit it first. In other words, put it down on your now-secured flange without any wax, and make sure it doesn't rock on the floor. If it does, then use little plastic window shims until it's stable, then leave them in place on the floor, pick up the toilet, install your wax rings, and smush it down so you now have a stable, rock-free toilet.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Looks to me like there is a crack in the solder joint between the pipe and the bend. It might be time to consider a replacement.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks