CoOp leak to downstairs unit— Cartridge Replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

ees19

Reaction score
I just recently moved into a new CooP. I’ve been there for 3 weeks. Prior to moving in, the unit above me had a leak in their bathroom that trickled down through my ceiling (no damage). Once I moved in, the hot water in the standing body shower was not working. I spoke to maintenance and they told me to call a plumber in to change my cartridge. I did so.. he took the cartridge out, cleaned it, and said I did not need a new one. (This was about 2 weeks ago) Yesterday the unit underneath me had damage through her ceiling in the bathroom. The water pockets in the wall were in multiple spots which leads me to believe the water has been leaking for a while and spread across the ceiling. Now I’m responsible to pay for her damage.

long story short— my question is can a faulty/ old shower cartridge cause a leak in the wall so bad that it can effect the floor underneath me? Or does this sound more like a pipe problem that the maintenance team should address?

thank you in advance for your help

Reach4

Reaction score
Could be rain water coming through a wall from the leaking roof.

Could be you got water on the floor while you took a shower. Did the unit below you report seeing actual water coming down, or just damage and dampness? I am not a plumber or other pro.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
How about a picture of the shower valve 800 pixels or less.
Normally a bad cartridge will allow the shower head to drip, but that water winds up in the shower and down a drain. Are you sure it's not the upstairs unit still leaking?

ees19

Reaction score
Could be rain water coming through a wall from the leaking roof.

Could be you got water on the floor while you took a shower. Did the unit below you report seeing actual water coming down, or just damage and dampness? I am not a plumber or other pro.

Thank you.. the tenant came home to it. I don’t think she saw water coming down.. just pockets of water bubbles on some of her walls and ceiling in the bathroom. The left wall (which is the same side that my shower body is on) is soaking wet.

Do you think this can have anything to do with a cartridge from my shower?

ees19

Reaction score
How about a picture of the shower valve 800 pixels or less.
Normally a bad cartridge will allow the shower head to drip, but that water winds up in the shower and down a drain. Are you sure it's not the upstairs unit still leaking?

I can’t be sure. Since it’s a coop, I’m subject to what maintenance is telling me. I have a plumber coming tomorrow to check it out. If a cartridge would normally cause a leak through the shower head and not to the unit downstairs, then I am going to fight the board to look into it.

Attachments

• B0601C79-907A-430E-B667-8EF10A6E8C75.jpeg
    B0601C79-907A-430E-B667-8EF10A6E8C75.jpeg
    48.4 KB · Views: 214
  • FBAC4CF6-B28D-491A-AA47-1113FA2476BE.jpeg
    FBAC4CF6-B28D-491A-AA47-1113FA2476BE.jpeg
    55.9 KB · Views: 196
  • AB4606BE-3231-4FC4-A23E-44E693F50CE1.jpeg
    AB4606BE-3231-4FC4-A23E-44E693F50CE1.jpeg
    75.4 KB · Views: 202

William S.

Reaction score
Hopefully you won't have to fight the board . . . if it's something in the wall then it's the co-op's responsibility. As Terry observed, it might be a continuation of the earlier problem from the unit above.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks