Converting Surface Mount Panel to Recessed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Nate R

Reaction score
My main panel is currently surface-mounted to an interior wall in our back porch with the feed from the meter coming in through the backside.

Can I add lumber over the existing wall, re-run the wiring through the new lumber, while keeping the box in place, essentially making what was a surface mount box a recessed box? I'd like to be able to hide what would be exposed wiring in a wall, as the back porch area will eventually be visible from the kitchen.

What code sections do I need to be looking at that deal with this specifically?

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Can I add lumber over the existing wall, re-run the wiring through the new lumber, while keeping the box in place,

As long as the panel is within 1/4" of the finished drywall you are good.

Also, it would be easier to notch the lumber around the existing wiring.

Nate R

Reaction score
As long as the panel is within 1/4" of the finished drywall you are good.

Also, it would be easier to notch the lumber around the existing wiring.

Duh, didn't think of notching it! It's only there to hold up wallboard, so it doesn't need much.
Thanks for the help!:D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks