Converting sprinklers to drip that use a pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Sman

Reaction score
Will it damage my submersible pump if I cap off the 4 sprinklers and convert to drip system?
The submersible pump is control by sprinkler timer with no pressure regulation. the Pump can support 4 to 5 Hunter PGP heads with no problem. I would like to convert one zone to drip but do not want to damage the pump.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Most likely the pump will overheat. Since the pump is immersed in water, generally the water keeps it cool but with very high head pressure the internal temps could get too high. Is it in a lake or well? Any idea of the usual pressure? If it is in a lake it is much easier to get small irrigation pump installed on land and run a pipe to the water.

If you know the size and flow of the pump and can estimate the gallons per minute or hour for the drip irrigation, you maybe able to figure it out. There is now 1/2" drip lines, (brown in color) that can take quite a large amount of water flow. The product below can delivery about 65 gallons per 100 feet (65 drip emitters). Depending on the pump size most will do 20-30 gallons a minute. The Hunter rotor heads can put out up to 9.8 gallon (3/4 inch inlet) per minute.

From the spec sheet @ https://www.homedepot.com/p/DIG-Ear...PIPHorizontal2_rr-_-204185819-_-100127697-_-N
  • Drip line produces a flow rate of 1 GPH per each drip emitter at 10 to 45 PSI

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Actually the higher pressure and lower flow rate will make the pump/motor draw less amps and run cooler. As long as your drip system is using at least 1 GPM you will not hurt the pump. You will however have high pressure in the lines. Normally a pressure reducing valve is used on the inlet to a drip system, knocking the high pressure down to 10-15 PSI that the drip needs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks