Converting Single vanity to double vanity in condo - does this make sense?

Users who are viewing this thread

Harv Rajwans

Reaction score
Hi,

As the title states I'm converting the vanity in our condo bathroom from a single to double. As many people have already faced this I have a good idea on the steps to take, however I am not 100% sure what I vcrafted makes sense.

This is what I am thinking, please advise if this makes sense or I am completely off! Any insight is much appreciated!

The green would be the path for the second drain and the pink the H/C water lines.

I'm unsure if the line I am looking to tie into is one I can tie into or that I have to go past that and tie into the left most pipe (with the existing drain).

Thanks in advance.

upload_2021-6-27_23-10-40.jpeg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Nope.. That is not a drain you have on the right. That is the vent from a fixture on the floor below. The vent should offset to the right of where you want the new sink. The new sink drain should connect to a San Tee into your 1.5" vertical drain under the trap arm of the other sink. Then use the existing vent under its tee to reconnect your new sinks vent.

Your jurisdiction probably wants the point where the 2 sinks meet up to be a 2" pipe. So you should investigate if that is feasible.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, with the vent from below circumnavigating the Green to the right. It can tie in to either of those vents at least 6" above the flood level of the sink you're installing. A typical sink cabinet is 36.. so they can tie together at 42" which is probaby where that tee is now.. So if the tee is at 42, the downstairs vent would need to tie in above it.

Harv Rajwans

Reaction score
I was looking at previous posts and wanted to ask if the following would also be acceptable (vs what was discussed above). The red would pipe directly to a wye (in blue). Each end of the red would have a Ptrap for each sink. I ask as this would require less fittings and soldering. The connection to the vent is at 43" as an FYI.

Thanks!

plumbing.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I just noticed that you have a 2x6 wall.. So you can pass your trap arm past the vent within the wall. You may need to jog the vent around the trap arm.

And you need a fixture cross rather than a double wye. or your vents won't work properly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks