Converting From Spout Diverter to Valve Diverter

Users who are viewing this thread

PeterS

Reaction score
I am wondering if converting my current bathtub's diverter from spout to value is worth doing. The bathtub is acrylic (or fiberglass, not really sure) from the mid-80s. My current understanding is that the process would involve cutting a larger hole in the tub around the temperature control in order to gain access. The process of changing the pipes in the wall would be difficult due to the tight space. Also the new temperature control would have to have a large enough diameter to covert the new hole.

My question is two parts:
1. Is it even possible without replacing the entire bathtub.
2. If it is possible, what can I expect a professional plumber to charge.

JMac

Reaction score
It is very possible if what you are asking is what I think it is. Some pictures would help show what you already have to give an idea of what needs to be done. Is there access from the back side to the pipes?
As for the holes, there are plates that can cover them up, but those are more of a last resort IMHO.
I don't know about cost, but I could see it being a couple hundred easily if the access is already there, and going up from that.

Onokai

Reaction score
Do you have access to the back of the valve via a wall behind?? This would make the job a snap. If not I would not see why you need this option?
Mark

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Not all tub spout diverters are created equal...the tub spout can be replaced. Delta's pull-down diverter spout seems to work quite well.

Tub spouts are installed typically one of two ways: screw on or push on with a setscrew to hold them in place. It is possible to convert from one to the other, but if it is a screw on unit, there may not be enough pipe sticking out to make the connection without doing some extra work, and if it is a push on, if they overtightened the screw, that can distort the pipe, making seal on a new one harder without replacement.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks