Converting from external to submersible pump for water tanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Martin_Meyers

Reaction score
Hi, I have two water tanks, that I have a external pump for. It has been operating this way for 12 years. Recently the pump has been degrading and the output has been falling. I would like to switch to a submersible pump. The two tanks are tied together.

I have an idea on how to do this, but I'm having a hard time finding a pump. I need about 15-20gpm at 40psi. It's just for irrigation.

How do I install a submersible pump with two tanks that are tied together? Also what pump would you recommend? Its a 240v system, no neutral.

Attachments

• pump2.jpg
    pump2.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 171
  • pump1.jpg
    pump1.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 174

Reach4

Reaction score
I have an idea on how to do this, but I'm having a hard time finding a pump. I need about 15-20gpm at 40psi. It's just for irrigation.
An 18 gpm 3/4 HP pump, such as the Goulds 18GS07 would be about right. Use 1.25 pipe or better.

How do I install a submersible pump with two tanks that are tied together?
I would think that the pump would lay on the bottom of one tank, with a flow inducer sleeve. The water would come out of a top pipe. The two pumps would connect together at the bottom, but the path might restrict the flow enough to not equalize the tank levels quickly.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
With those short squaty tanks you will need to put a flow inducer on the pump and lay it close to the bottom. Just leave the two tanks connected at the bottom and put the pump in either of the tanks. The level will stay close enough and equalize as soon as the pump shuts off. You can't beat the price of one of those 1HP, 33 GPM, Hallmark 230V pumps. Even though it is larger than you need a Cycle Stop Valve will make it do any flow rate you want to use.

https://cyclestopvalves.com/pages/pk1a-pside-kick

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks