Converting Bedroom to Bathroom-Help plz

Users who are viewing this thread

Bigbobdallas

Reaction score
When I get finished with my bathroom remoldel that I am doing at the present. I want to convert a smaller bedroom 12 x 14 size to a nice bath. At the present time it has connected to it a small bath with a shower and all. Which I want to tear out and make a hall out of it. The reason for this is we can get to the new bathroom from master bedroom. And how the walk in shower and toliet I want to put in are all going to be on the oppisite wall which is a outside wall of the house. I was wanting to know if since I have a slap foundation can I go threw the outside wall and run drain pipes to my sewer or am I going to have to cut a hole in slab. I could raise the floor if needed in this area. I hope this is making since.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You don't really want to raise the floor of the new bathroom...you need to break up the slab and you'll need another vent line up through the roof. Depends on where the drain line runs once it exits the house whether you would be able to connect outside the house or inside. In order to keep the required downward slope, the pipe could be fairly high if it is on teh other side of the house. Worst case, you use a sewage ejector pump, but you should avoid that unless absolutely required.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Converting a room to a bathroom is the most difficult of all remodeling jobs mostly due to the requirements of proper drain and vent installation. You definitely do not want to raise the floor. Regardless of how well everything else is done, the room will always look tacky. I would strongly suggest that you hire a plumbing contractor to assist you on this job. It can be done, it's often said that given enough money, anything is possible, but a bathroom just has to be done right. You might work out an arrangement with the plumber for you to do the demolition and reconstruction, and he does the actual plumbing.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
You need a guy like one of the foremen on a job here. Everybody else (i.e., you) works their butt off while this guy stands in the shade watching. Somebody commented on that once, and he said "they only pay me from the neck up." Of course, that's the expensive part :D .

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Everybody else (i.e., you) works their butt off while this guy stands in the shade watching.

It is like the guy who went to work on a construction project. A while later a buddy asked him how it was going? "I got fired", was the reply. "Why? What happened?" "Well, you know how the superintendent walks around all day with a blueprint in his hand?" "Yes". "Well he got jealous of me."

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks