Converting a pull-chain high tank to a standard tank

Users who are viewing this thread

AMM

Reaction score
We have a retrofitted R.A.K. bowl (12" rough in) with a high tank about 7' off the ground that came with our house. I'd like to replace the high tank with a tank that sits on the bowl. The previous owner said the bathroom was built in 2000. I have done entire toilet replacement before, but never tried to replace just the tank. What would you recommend I start looking for? I am waiting to hear back from R.A.K. but they are overseas and I was hoping for a simpler locally-available replacement. Two images of the bowl and high tank are attached.

Any advice on selling the high tank and brass pipe + water line would be appreciated as well.
IMG_20200503_120915298.jpg IMG_20200503_120938870.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Just replacing the tank may not work...depends on how things were designed. IF that was a retrofit of a modern bowl, it might be designed to work with a bowl mounted tank. If it was an antique when installed, and was designed for the tank to be up high, a tank attached is unlikely to work well, if at all. Having that tank way up there gives it a big gravity assist. Sitting on the bowl, it will only be able to 'fall' a small fraction of the distance. The bowl may not flush.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
The bowl may not have the two holes in its cast to attach the tank. These retro designed units started in the 1970's and if this was installed in 2000 it could have been new old stock. I do not think it could meet the new water use requirements of 1.6 gal flush that came into law in 1992 but I could be wrong. By then the novelty faded and these were no longer in demand. The energy law stated toilet manufactured after 1992 nust meet the 1.6 gal but old stock can be still sold unless local codes prevented it such as California

AMM

Reaction score
I did some more digging in the old records that came with the house and found it is a modern 1.6 gallon, designed to use an attached tank (see images). It is a "Sunrise #906 toilet" but Sunrise apparently now just designs bathrooms https://www.sunrisespecialty.com/ . I put in a request for info on their site. The bowl has two normal holes to attach the tank, so I suppose I could just measure the distance between and hunt around for something that seems like a fit.
IMG_20200503_225550113.jpg IMG_20200503_224951692.jpg IMG_20200503_224902268_2.jpg
@jadnashua Unfortunately the bowl was not designed to work with a high tank, and receives so much gravity assist that it often violently spits bowl contents out in the flushing process. For this reason, it has become a glorified urinal and used sparingly!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
You might be able to fit another tank on there. in your original post you didnt mention that bowl was desighned as such. Good let us know when its fixed how it works. or if you need more help. btw I guess you might be able to sell your tank and assesorys on craigs list . Wouldnt think there would be much interest but My wife sells stuff on "offer up" and craigs list that I wouldnt think would sell .

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks