Converting 2 handle shower to mixer - framing issue

Users who are viewing this thread

ThereGoesPlanB

Reaction score
I'm remodeling a bathroom and have run into a bit of an issue with the plumbing configuration. I am planning on keeping my existing tub, just installing new drywall, kerdi membrane, tiles, etc. I am also converting the non-code compliant two handle valves to a single mixer. The first picture shows the existing plumbing.

So I noticed a couple issues. One, I live in Colorado and the copper pipes are run in an exterior wall. Now, I did do an exterior remodel several years ago and had the original R11 insulation replaced with R15 + 1/2 rigid foam, so there is at least better insulation than what has been available for the rest of the house's lifetime (and the pipes are on the right side of the insulation. The second issue is that wall is load bearing (2nd story) and the original builder notched 3" out of that stud.

If you look at the center picture, you can see approximately where the new valve needs to go. I would need to notch out about 2" of the 2x4 to get the valve placed back far enough. I would also repair the existing notch with blocking on either side, but I would still be adding a notch into a load bearing stud. However, that thing has been mutilated for over 35 years without issue. I don't have a way to install additional studs without a lot a lot more tear down.

Am I going to regret this plan?

theregoes-01.jpg

theregoes-02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can "sister" the stud and move things over as needed for centering if that's what you're going for.
Lay a stud next to it and fasten it well with screws.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
What Terry said, and you will have to drill thru the sister stud to allow the hot water supply access to the valve.
When you solder near insulation and studs, use a metal shield to protect them from the torch flame AND have a spray bottle of water nearby.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks