Converting 110v up to 220v

Users who are viewing this thread

Bill Berry

Reaction score
I have a 1hp 220 volt deep submersible well pump (750 watts). I have a pure sine wave 1000 watt DC-AC inverter. My question is will a 110v to 220v converter with a Soft Starter work? Conversely would an 1100 watt inverter generator do the same? In the event of a power outage would either solution do the job? Thank you!

Bill Berry

Reaction score
Let me also add...I am redoing my well system, parts already bought to install a cycle stop valve kit, no added pressure tank. I want to keep this simple but I do have to deal with power outages and keeping the ladies happy in my house, lol.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Inductive loads are funky when it comes to generators. Inverters might be the same. Start up current for motors is roughly 3 times its rated run amperage. I once tried to run my washing machine with a 2500 watt generator, it wouldn't budge for the spin cycle.

Your 1000 watt DC - AC inverter doesn't mean you'll get the current you need. What is the DC voltage input? If it is 12 volts, at 1000 watts (look at the spec it might only be for a short period of time as it would read "peak") its maximum amperage would be 83 amps on the DC side, 8.3 amps on the AC aide. I don't see how using this inverter for power outages can work. A lead acid battery can provide that current but it would be short lived.

All of these DC to AC converters, even those that come with trucks and cars are for light loads such as computers, printers, lighting, etc. Not for power tools or motors.

You said keep it simple. Rent a generator and try it on your pump to see if it works. The big question is how do you want to handle power outages, automatic switch over or a manual start of a generator and using a transfer switch. Either way it can get expensive. You cannot go cheap since you do not want to burn out your pump motor and need to be safe. I've seen this type of question many times over the years and its always someone trying to use what they have on hand. Living in Florida we get our share of hurricanes and power disruptions so I understand the need.

Reach4

Reaction score
This is from the Franklin AIM manual. For normal 2-wire pumps, you need more generator rating to start. A 3-wire pump has a control box with a start capacitor.

The SQ pumps are easier for generators to start, even tho they are 2-wire. I expect that would also be the case for inverters.

Attachments

• img_2.png
    img_2.png
    124.8 KB · Views: 46

Fitter30

Reaction score
Don't believe that a 750 watt motor is 1 hp might be on paper. Pumps are rated by the usable work that they perform after all the electrical and mechanical inefficiencies have been lost. Pump two or three wires? Two wire pump has starting components built in the pump. Would also want to check with pump manufacturer for their input on a soft starter.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks