Convert Single Sink to Dual Sink for Vanity

Users who are viewing this thread

CharlesEntis

Reaction score
I am planning on putting in a 60" double sink vanity. I have removed the drywall and this is what I am looking at. I have called several plumbers but they are too busy to do the work and I am unable to find another available plumber. I figured I would do it myself, until I opened the wall and saw that the drain is copper as well and runs horizontally to the stack. Any suggestions? The vanity will go against the left wall flush.

20190202_134714.jpg
20190202_134737.jpg

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A couple of things from a non-pro...the trap arm wouldn't pass code today...it's too far to the drain line. The vent must be within certain distances based on the diameter of the pipe involved. If that's 2", it must be vented within 5' (60"). Can't tell if it actually has the proper slope, either. Second thing, when you redo things, forget the air columns, they're useless after probably the first month or so as all of the air trapped there gets absorbed. If you really want or need anything (usually, a sink doesn't), you could add a pair of engineered hammer arrestors. You could use one trap, but it's better to have a trap directly beneath each sink...less pipe length above the trap to keep clean so the sinks don't smell. You can tie each of their vents together if you do it 42" above the floor, or 6" above the flood rim, whichever is higher. Big copper is not the easiest thing to solder without a big torch. The pipe is also expensive. You can buy banded couplings designed for copper to pvc, but you will probably have to go to a plumbing supply shop to find them, or order them online.

elmerito25

Reaction score
Hi All-

Please let me know if I need to create a new thread but I am doing the same thing as the OP here. We've replaced our single vanity to 60" dual sink vanity and would like to get you guys opinion in adding additional drain line. I've been perusing this awesome forum and been learning a lot in regards to what my options is. Please note I'm not a plumber and open to hiring if this job is way over my head. I'm DIY'er and have some home projects done before and please be patient as I learn all fittings/plumbing terms. I am posting a several pictures including what my options including the ones that were posted in the forum.

Existing Plumbing:
Please note there's another vent on the right side coming from the "future free standing tub" that eventually joins the vertical vent that goes to the roof.

IMG_2556.jpg

Drain lines are labeled '1' and '2'. The height of the vanity is 34", it has sunken sink so I'm not sure 31" is enough to go above the flood level of the sink. PDF I got doesn't show it so might need to wait until the vanity is delivered weather to move the re-vent higher up. I've also added the fittings that I need but feel free to let me know if I made a mistake. ABS pipe says 1 1/2 DWV SCH40.
Option 1: Similar to what was posted before.
IMG_2556 first option.jpg

Option 1 was built based on this image posted before:
option 2.jpg

Option 2: Sorry didn't have time to label properly.

IMG_2556 option 2.jpg

Option 2 was based on this image posted before:
option 1.jpg

Please feel free to comments/correct on my options.

TIA!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
With 1.5" pipe, you can't use a double fixture fitting. That would need 2"
I would go with two santee fittings.
The revent goes in at 6" above the flood level, so a 34" counter would make it 40".
We normally do ours at 42" because the kitchen sink is 36" making 42" necessary anyway. It's easier to be consistent.

double_lav_right_side_5.jpg

single_to_double_lav.jpg

What I do if I only have 1.5" pipe and I want two lavs.
They don't make a 1.5" double fixture fitting.
UPC code wants 2" before you split off for two lavs. Sometimes a homeowner wants to add a second lav, and this is the best way I've found for that.

Last edited:

elmerito25

Reaction score
Thanks for your quick response Terry. That explains why I can't find a double fixture fitting sized 1.5 x 1.5 x 1.5 online when you say "With 1.5" pipe, you can't use a double fixture fitting. That would need 2""

Again, thanks for your quick response. Will post back once I made the change!

elmerito25

Reaction score
Thanks for your quick response Terry. That explains why I can't find a double fixture fitting sized 1.5 x 1.5 x 1.5 online when you say "With 1.5" pipe, you can't use a double fixture fitting. That would need 2""

Again, thanks for your quick response. Will post back once I made the change!

Here’s what ended up doing. Posting this to help out other members who has a similar questions. Now onto re-routing the water lines!

Thanks again for your help!

C63A4B60-E832-426B-9724-A70B159F4361.jpeg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks