Convert outlet to hardwire

Users who are viewing this thread

Steve80222

Reaction score
I have an existing outlet, which is the only one on a 20A circuit (used for a heated towel rack). I'm looking to get a new towel rack, and I'd like to get one that is hardwired.

How do I wire this into the existing outlet?

Thanks.

Steve

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Do you want to keep that receptacle, or abandon it, but use it's power lead?

Is there a GFCI supplying power to the towel bar? If not, you should consider adding one in the circuit to help protect yourself and others in a potentially wet area.

Once you decide on that, a solution can be more forthcoming.

Steve80222

Reaction score
Do you want to keep that receptacle, or abandon it, but use it's power lead?

Is there a GFCI supplying power to the towel bar? If not, you should consider adding one in the circuit to help protect yourself and others in a potentially wet area.

Once you decide on that, a solution can be more forthcoming.

Abandon it and use its power lead.

The plug is GFCI, but the circuit is not. This makes me think that I should get the electrician out to change the breaker. I'm not comfortable doing that.

Steve

Jadnashua

Reaction score
You can buy a GFCI to fit in that box, but you could just leave the receptacle and wire the towel bar to the load side of the GFCI. If that towel bar is not on a dedicated circuit, you may need to leave it or replace it either with a breaker or one of the following...

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ProductDetail.jsp?partnumber=GFRBF-KW&section=65907&minisite=10251

is an example of one of those. These tend to be less expensive than one in the panel, and are more convenient than running to the power panel to reset or shut it off.

Steve80222

Reaction score
It is on a dedicated circuit. I like stuff that pulls a lot of power to be isolated.
That looks like a great option. Thanks for the advice.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
I have an electric towel warmer in my master bath, but it only draws about 185W max (about 1.5A), so could easily have been on a shared circuit. Since it is dedicated, the least expensive method to wire the thing is would be to just use the load leads on the existing GFCI - most of them have those outputs, but not all. You might not need it often, but maybe a good place to plug in say a vacuum cleaner.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks