control box issues

Users who are viewing this thread

tab

Reaction score
he said that the check valve was blocked by sediment which makes sense because the well has a LOT of iron in it.

I suspect the bad check valve had something to do with the original problem.

gary: actually the well was working fine. i shut off the breaker to the well shed, then left for florida to work on a house i bought down there, came back and the pump wouldn't turn on. it was working fine before.... i know it was that franklin switch in the pump box because i replaced it with one that worked intermittently that i replaced long ago and the pump came on intermittently just like i suspected. i then tried to get another replacement switch but couldn't find it ANYWHERE. that's when i went to tractor supply and bought that box. after i tried installing that new box my pump never pumped again. i suspect that lightning knocked out that solid state franklin switch while i was in florida. this happened to me many times in the past. replace the switch and all is well.... now, having said this, my well needed attention badly especially since that check valve was gunked up. my main bitch -outside of my yard being trashed- was that he choked my well at the refresh rate which put a big strain on the pump. there's no reason to do that because a 2gpm refresh rate and 40' of water above the pump, plus that which is in the pressure tank is plenty of water for one guy living alone. he was trying to handicap my well to hit me up for a new hole and ream me for $5K+. after talking to a good well man, i was armed with knowledge. the bad well guy then, to his credit, removed that choke, installed the pump protector and changed that faulty check valve WHICH SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE INITIALLY. so it's a good thing i had him come back out because that pump would not have lasted long with a bad check-valve and choke.

ballvalve: i did not see the check valve that he removed. he said that he didn't see how i was getting water into the house. that's all i know about it.

If you got a new pump, checkvalve, wire, pumptek and working system for 1500 bucks you should take the guy to dinner with or without a license. Those ruts could have been worse from the neighbors kid on a 4 wheeler. got a rake and 3 arms? Fix it and forget any more distress in the world from the lawyers. This guy tried to make it right and did so. Choking back the flow to 2 gpm on the first try was not much different from the cycle stop valves action - so it should not have caused a problem at all. Granted the pumptek gives more when you need it.

no dinner but i took it all into consideration. i was never impolite or rude to the guy, even when he tried to bald-face scam me. .... the ruts are not little 4 wheeler ruts, they are 1.5' deep, 4x4 Case tractor ruts that run about 100 yards through clay soil. without an army of chinese workers and 10 yards of dirt, there is no rake and shovel fix . it's a huge mess. hopefully i will move to florida soon and not have to deal with it. you are right about lawyers though. after dealing with those piles of dung over my father's estate, i despise them. by comparison, attorneys make this well fiasco seem like a day at the spa.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
he said that the check valve was blocked by sediment which makes sense because the well has a LOT of iron in it.

gary: actually the well was working fine. i shut off the breaker to the well shed, then left for florida to work on a house i bought down there, came back and the pump wouldn't turn on. it was working fine before.... i know it was that franklin switch in the pump box because i replaced it with one that worked intermittently that i replaced long ago and the pump came on intermittently just like i suspected. i then tried to get another replacement switch but couldn't find it ANYWHERE. that's when i went to tractor supply and bought that box. after i tried installing that new box my pump never pumped again. i suspect that lightning knocked out that solid state franklin switch while i was in florida. this happened to me many times in the past. replace the switch and all is well.... now, having said this, my well needed attention badly especially since that check valve was gunked up.

ballvalve: i did not see the check valve that he removed. he said that he didn't see how i was getting water into the house. that's all i know about it.
You keep saying switch but mean capacitor or relay in the control box... Below is why I said the gunked up check valve may have caused the problem when the pump "wouldn't turn on" with the new box (you previously said); "that's what i thought but the box just clicked wildly. i had several people tell me that this could have fried my pump motor."

It sounds as if the pump may have been deadheaded against the closed check valve; which means no water from the pump and that made you think the pump wasn't running (and the new box fried the motor, which it couldn't). The pump couldn't start if it deadheaded and the box turned it off (the clicking on/off of the box relay).

tab

Reaction score
gary: yes, relay switch. and no, for three reasons:

#1. i got the well pump working and water into the house with an old, partially functioning franklin switch that i swapped for the bad switch. i then started looking for a new switch which i could not find. (pic included) this confirmed my suspicion that this switch was the problem with the well not coming on. i've had this problem many times before......

#2. to the surprise of the idiot well guy, the new pump was getting water into the house despite the bad check valve.

#3. the well was working fine until i shut it off for a month, went to florida, then turned the power back on. when the pump motor is running you can hear it. it was not running UNTIL i installed a defective, partially working franklin switch in the control box.

Attachments

• waterwell relay switch.jpg
    waterwell relay switch.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 359

tab

Reaction score
i mentioned earlier that the franklin switch (pictured above) was switching on and off on about 20 sec intervals. i replaced it with a new switch and everything was fine. however, i saved this old partially bad switch and then used it to replace the switch that recently went bad in my control box. again, my pump turned on but kept shutting off after about 20 seconds. THAT'S how i knew that my problem was that solid state, franklin relay switch.

Waterwelldude

Well driller,pump repair. and septic installer
Reaction score
Those relays are the biggest piece of crap anyone ever put in a control box.

tab

Reaction score
Ahhhhhhhhh yes. Did you end up replacing the whole box?

YES, the one from tractor supply which fried my pump motor. that's what started this well saga from hell....

waterwelldude: i can't argue with that. i've replaced those relays many times BUT, i will say that the last one was in there since 1991. i believe that lightning fried it while i was in florida.

now, after all is said and done, i'm happy with the new pump and i think that it worked out for the best. the monster ruts in my yard will just have to stay there. i was hoping to get this place sold without a major well fix but what the hell...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks