Continious waterflow in sump pit

Users who are viewing this thread

mathar

Reaction score

Builder has replaced original pit with this sewerage one. He mentioned vent is used for sewerage and not needed in case sump pump pit. Doesn't that white thing one pipe is shut valve?

Thanks.

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
How far up is it pumping? With no check valve the water will flow back down the pipe and into the pit when the pump stops. You can get test strips that will tell you the chrorine levels for drinking water (If your area's water has chlorine) so if the water in the pit has chlorine then there is a leak.

mathar

Reaction score
I don't know how far it through. Pipe going out buried in my driveway. I am not an expert so don't know much about check valve. Where I can see for check valve?

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
It should look like this and be close to the pump.

Attachments

• check valve.jpg
    check valve.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 531

mathar

Reaction score
The only white thing I can see is the one shown in picture where you can see that red switch. No other white valve I can see any where. I remember when plumber installed he mentioned that as shut valve. Not sure whether he was right or not. I have load the video to show the flow also. I get same flow all year around regardless of weather condition. Any suggestion does that look like ground water coming with constant flow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB8Medb8x5g

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
is that a check valve under all that duct tape looking stuff near the pump itself? that valve looks like a union with a shutoff attached.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If there is a water main leak, and the ground is saturated, it could take hours for the water to stop draining. Shut all water users off, then check the water meter - it should not move. Looks like you need a check valve. Not sure why it has an in-line shutoff there.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
You are pushing a rock uphill. If the static water level is below the slab, set the start point a inch above it. Now the pump only runs when it pours outside.

Shut the pump off for a few days and discover the base-line water level. Pump only above that point.

mathar

Reaction score
Thanks for every one for response. There is no white thing installed inside the pit with the pump itself. However the white thing in the picture with red inline shutoff has sticker on it and that says chk valve there. Not sure whether that the right place to install however it seems the plumbers have installed that there. I have stopped the pump for couple of hours and the water stopped around 4 inch before the top of pit. I just got worried and turned pump to avoid any overflow to occur. Few questoins, appreciate if you can help me to understand:

1) Looking at the video and scenarios that neighbors don't have this issue, flow is steady, water is clear. Would this be a ground water or there are more chances it is leak or some other issue?
2) When my builder dig the basement to put new pit (dig around 4 ft) haven't seen a lot of water from ground however water kept coming from the pipe which feeds into pit. Shouldn't we have seen ground water when they dig?
3) If I want hire a contractor to do testing on the cause of this steady flow, what should I ask for and what should they be looking. I am pretty sure my builder won't react until I prove this is miss at their end.

Appreciate your help.
Regards.

mathar

Reaction score
Thanks for response. I cannot set the switch so high w/o lifting the pump. My builder is also not willing to help. I am not an expert so cannot say any thing but any input why I am always getting water with steady flow not my neighbors. I am in townhouse which is 19 ft wide attached by both sides, shouldn't my neighbors have same issue.? Some one is helping me to do the chlorine test, hope that will tell some thing. Appreciate any other suggestion. I have feeling there is some mistake from either my builder or some one else which have put me in this situation. Below is link to video which I made today for a min. You can compare there is no changes in both video (this one and the one I have put earlier).
Appreciate any guidance/help.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Upe-qhdyk64
Regards

Jadnashua

Reaction score
You can buy a new float switch retrofit assembly. Essentially, you'd tie the existing float up so that is always on, then you plug the new float switch into the wall, and then the pump into it. Then when this new switch trips, it applies power to the pump to turn it on. Adjust it to any height you want. Assuming your local water utility puts chlorine or some other chemicals into the water for distribution, you can take a sample of what's in the pit and have it analyzed to see if it contains that chemical. If it does, it is likely a pipe leak. If it doesn't, it's likely ground water. Ground water is fickle...it all depends on the soil composition and distribution. you could have it higher than your neighbors. If your water meter isn't turning, it ends up being utility's water that's coming in, then you'd have to talk to them about fixing it. If it's ground water...you'll have to live with it. If your meter is turning without you having anything on, you're paying for it and would want to find and fix the leak.

mathar

Reaction score
Thanks for response. Just an update. I have water tested and Chlorine was found in it. I believe the municipliaty put chlorine in distributed water. My next question whether we get chlorine in ground water too? or this test enough to tell me I am getting somehow treated water in my house which could be leakage or something else and need to look at.

Thanks for your help.

Regards.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Call your local water supplier, tell them you have water in your basement...you had it checked and it contains chlorine. Your meter is not turning, so you are pretty sure there is a water main leak nearby and they are losing water that you'd like fixed. Ground water doesn't have chlorine in it. Now, if a neighbor has a pool, and it is leaking, it could be coming from there.

mathar

Reaction score
The regional municipilaty has done the test themselves and asked me to contact the builder. I want to ensure that what I am getting is from some leakage which needs to fix not the ground water which was told by builder. Hope my builder won't come back and say ground water could have chlorine. Also there is no pool in my neighbours.

Thanks for help.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The leak could be in the city-owned main OR your line before the meter.
You are in a pickle as one of them is going to have to determine where the leak is and neither wants to start digging.

mathar

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Some more progress .... Regional municipilaty has sent leak detection company and nothing found my house water line. However they check curb valve for my left neighbour and suspect leak is there. No one at home so they can't check further. They have used some device to hear some thing from outside not sure what. Not sure what is the approach I should take now so my builder can't get away.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If the leak is not on your property, your builder has nothing to do with it. Good to hear that things seem to be going in a more positive direction.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks