Continious waterflow in sump pit

Users who are viewing this thread

mathar

Reaction score
I moved to this new house two years back. Never had experience with sump pump. After a month I moved in I realize there is water always in the pit. I checked with neighbours and found they don't have such issue. I raised the concerned to builder and they have sent the plumber. It was found the pump burnt out and got replaced. After new pumo got installed, it was running every 15 - 20 mins anf eventually after few weeks this was also burnt out. Contact the builder again and another pump get replaced. I raised my concerned to builder the new pumo make noise and it is running very frequently. They decided to put a bigger pit and pump (the sewer one) but no one has mentioned why so much water coming. With the bigger pump it now runs every 25-30 mins and still the continious water flow is there. No response from builder.
Contact city as well as TARION and both mentioned this most likely underground water and come houses face this issue. However, city suggested to check for water main water valve leakage. Getting TARION involved I was able to make the builder to check for main water valve leakage. They closed my house water from outside but water in pit kept coming. Eventually every one said it is uncontrollable factor and I need to live with this.
My neighbours don't have such issue, it is town house (middle one) with 19ft width. Any suggestion what could be the cause for water and somehow I can get invlove TARION and city to see the issue. I still have six month warranty left on pump and water continious flow I mentioned on two years form.
One more thing, it seems the water flow was always there then why the builder didn't took any action at the time of construction? Isn't there any code which says that?

Appreciate any help

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
My mother's house is near the spring-fed town water supply, so the water table is quite high. Except in the middle of the summer, her sump pump runs frequently. IF you are tapping the water table, nothing much you can do about it except move. You can test the water to see if it is ground water verses piped water from the city. If it is piped water from the city, it would have their typical mix of chemicals in it. The ground water typically wouldn't. If it is a water main leak, you might get the city to fix it. If it is ground water, not much you can do. the water table can have dips and peaks, depending on the soil conditions (sand, clay, stone, etc.).

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I would be interested in what the site looked like when they dug the footings. If there was no water there then, something has obviously changed.
If there is a supply pipe leak, it might take many hours with the water shut off at the street before the flow stops at the sump. This would be dependent on the distance from the footings to the leak and what the local geology is.

Having some water in the pit is not a bad thing. Assuming it is groundwater, it might help to adjust the pump switch or height of the pump in the basin. The pump should be set so that it always maintains the water level below the slab. Continuously pumping the crock to the bottom is only wasting energy and wearing on the pump.

mathar

Reaction score
When the builder checked for water leak they closed for less than 10 minutes. The water in house got stopped but the water in sump didn't. Now to get builder back and test for leakage is difficult. What other option I can use to ensure it is ground water. One thing surprise me is nothing at neighbours house. Whether there is possibility I have leakage from neighbour pipe? Does this problem effect house price?

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
Make this as widely known as possible, including contacting the agency that licenses your builder.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
What other option I can use to ensure it is ground water.

A lab test of a water sample from the sump may be able to differentiate between ground water and city water. The city water main could be leaking outside of your house. Then again, it could be groundwater.

It's up to you to get the test done to prove it one way or the other.

mathar

Reaction score
I will see how much test cost then see whether go for that or not. I have tried to contact city as well as other company who provide warranty home, both said it could be ground water. I will try to contact city again and see what they say. Water flow is in quiet speed that it fills huge pit in half an hour. Any more help would be appreciated.

Arfeller

Reaction score
If you turn off the pump does the water level continue to rise or does it reach a level and then stop? It sounds like when you first found the water in the sump the pump was bad. I would think if it was some sort of leak it would continue to fill the sump until full.

If the level does not continue to raise with the pump off, i would consider using cacher_chic suggestion and raising the pump switch a little higher so it only comes on if the water continues to rise.

mathar

Reaction score
I have tried that tonight. The level continiuous to rise until it is 4 inch below the top of pump where we can't place the switch. Right? Not sure if I can upload video here other wise I would have shown the flow of water and size of pit. Trying to get city involved but not sure would able to get any help or not. One thing bother me a lot this problem seems to be there at the time of construction then why the builder have tried any corrective action. I am thinking for water test too, what should I look for in water test?

Arfeller

Reaction score
I'm not sure how deep the sump is, a picture would be helpful. However, to answer you question, I'm not sure what kind of switch you have. I have my sump pump set up to pump when the water level is about 6" above the top of the pump. Better to run the pump less often and pump more each time. If you switch is on the pump and can't be adjusted up maybe you could put a brick or something under the pump to raise it up a bit.

You can also purchase an independent float switch for the pump and place it at any level you want in the sump.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
The level continiuous to rise until it is 4 inch below the top of pump where we can't place the switch.

Buy a standalone water level switch that can handle a motor load of whatever hp your pump is and mount it within this 4" interval. It replaces the level switch in your pump or you could have a level switch controlling a box that the pump plugs into.
You lucked out.

Last edited:

DaveHo

Reaction score
My pit always has water in it too, high water table. I have my pump float adjusted so that it kicks on just before the level reaches the height of the drain tile feeding it. The pump only runs if we have a monsoon.

-Dave

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
The pump only runs if we have a monsoon.
Can I get your pump hp and your nearest city? I'm doing a survey.

For Philly the "monsoon" is 3.1" of rain in an hour and it happens every 100 years, so more frequent events would be less than this value.

Last edited:

mathar

Reaction score
I wish if water runs only in monsoon. Water always flow with same speed. Nothing changes with outside condition. Rain/Shine continuous flow with same speed. I will try to find out hp. I am in Milton On, Canada.
Thanks for tips/help so far.

DaveHo

Reaction score
Can I get your pump hp and your nearest city? I'm doing a survey.

For Philly the "monsoon" is 3.1" of rain in an hour and it happens every 100 years, so more frequent events would be less than this value.

I have a Zoeller 1/3 hp pump. Basement is about 1000sf. I'm just outside of Reading. I'd say we have one rainstom a year around here where the pump actually runs. The last one was a few months ago. I forget which tropical storm that was, but we had 6-7 inches of rain over the course of a day or so. I'm not convinced the pit would have actually overflowed, but with a partially finished basement, I'm not taking chances.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
Thanks for your help. Soon I should be able to post a sizing guide that works to some level of accuracy.

mathar

Reaction score
Still water coming

Happy New Year Every One.

Thanks for all your replies, Sorry didn't get chance to reply back.
I am in Milton, Ontario, Canada. I have checked with my neighbours they don't have same problem. As I mentioned my builder did test for leakage. They have turned off the main water box valve for my house from outside for 15mins. The water didn't stopped so they said it is proved to be ground water. Not sure this is the right way of testing. I am still not convince. Attached are some pics of sump pit, pump specs and image showing flow of water. All year round rain or shine I get water with this speed. If it is ground water shouldn't I see variation in flow. I tried vido but file size is too large.

Appreciate any help.
Regards

Attachments

• SumpWater.jpg
    SumpWater.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,013
  • SumpPump.jpg
    SumpPump.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 824
  • Sump.jpg
    Sump.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 908
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks